Why do you dive so deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anything below the 80' for me is for a purpose, the wreck is at 100'

As for some of the rest of it, 130' is the perceived limit for recreational divers. Some folks just wanna push that limit because it's there.

109' is the deepest for me and I would have never done that if it wasn't to get a picture of a moray that hangs out in that spot. I was there for a few seconds and ascended up to my comfort zone <80'.

I am perfectly happy to do a two hour dive at an average depth of 25 fsw (in fact several of them each day). I love bottom time for more filming. But for several years I dove repeatedly to depths of 180-200 fsw for one primary reason... to film what was down there for a "deep ecology" episode of my cable TV show. In my neck of the woods (Catalina in SoCal) it is a completely different world below the depth most algae like kelp are found. Some would call it boring, but I never thought it to be.

Most of my favorite dives so far have been above 80 feet. I'm sure there are probably plenty of interesting things to see beyond 130 feet, but I just don't feel the need to see them.

I am usually the one who has the least depth for the dive in question, if we are on a wreck, I'm usually on the top half of the structure, while others are mucking around in the sand.

I'm comfortable with depth and will use helium if it's needed for a dive, I just don't see the point in being the one to max out on depth unless it's got a specific purpose. If I can see the same thing at 30 ft and 130ft, I'm going to 30 ft. If there's something to see, I'm going to 130ft (or more).

... to film what was down there for a "deep ecology" episode of my cable TV show.

Are any episodes of your TV show available on youtube?

Why do you dive to 30 feet? There's plenty to see in the shallows. I did a dive the other night to a max depth of 18 feet, with an average depth of 11 feet, and it was incredible. There's no need to go deeper than that.

Perhaps you should consider not pushing it so hard and doing shallower dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

18 feet? Bob, you daredevil! I only carry a cylinder and reg in case my snorkel breaks. But, OK, a serious response to the OP: I imagine that some people have at some point gone 'deep' (which is a relative term) just 'to see what's down there' or to say they've done it, but I very much doubt that anyone does so regularly. The novelty would surely wear off rather quickly. So the answer for pretty much everyone is going to be 'because that's where the stuff I want to see is'. As long as 'deep' is within training/ experienced and they've made an informed decision, aware of the risks, I don't see any problem.

I would hate to think I would be limited to 30'. Reefs are cool but so are the wrecks and you won't find many at 30' Variety is the spice of life.

I would hate to think I would be limited to 30'. Reefs are cool but so are the wrecks and you won't find many at 30' Variety is the spice of life.

Very shallow reefs are rarely that vibrant either. They need a little protection from the surface...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom