Why do you log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log all of my dives. I make notes about fish and sea creatures, odd trash I've brought up, Bozo divers I've assisted, and how much weight I wore, what mm suit for the water temp. Plus I was over 50 when I learned to dive, so I want to see how many I can do before I'm old as hell and have to give it up.

The first answer is that it really doesn't matter about the "details of any diving" - what matters is that you have recently been diving. I suppose you could just air up at the shop and go out and let the air out, write lies in your log and then fill it up and have them stamp your bogus log. Any kind of stamp will do - I even get a stamp that is their address stamp. I also have received a letter from my PADI shop that stated they knew me and my recent diving. And I still needed my log book.

Also, unlike the USA, all divemasters, instructors, and dive shops must be certified by the Israeli Dive Authority (IDA). All incidents are reported to them and the can and will pull the shop's license and individual's privilege to dive in Israel. Therefore, the shops maintain careful records when you dive with them. They also keep your certification cards and dive insurance/DAN cards (required to dive in Israel) in their shop when you dive with them. They must be able to present them to IDA on request.

You obviously have not been diving in a bureaucratic country where there is strict enforcement of laws. Regarding solo diving, the local dive professionals will notify the Israeli Dive Authority, who will confiscate your gear, take you to the local police station, and what comes after that will obviously cost you lots of money. If you are upset about the "solo diving laws" - go to to ScubaBoard's solo diver site (which both you and I are members of) and you will read about the enforcement, including hefty fines for solo diving in places like the State of Washington's dive parks.

Anyway, the op was asking about why to keep a log. I simply reported a country that requires a log for one to demonstrate a recent history of diving. Obviously the issue is with the Country of Israel (and likely other countries and locations) and not with me who reports such laws. :)

A note about Israel. It is the most Northern coral sea - and it is beautiful. There are a lot of tourist divers from many countries who do not dive on a regular basis. The IDA is out to protect them and the environment. Just South of Eilat is Egyptian territory where the coral beds have been torn up by sticky fingers. In the Israel Red Sea, only divemasters and above are allowed to carry dive knives or allowed to wear gloves!!! This is to protect the coral from tourists who just cannot keep their hands off and would love to take souvenirs. One is also required to attend a lecture by a park ranger to dive in their sanctuary. Anyway, sorry to go on and on - I'm just answering to the op that there are places that require a log. :)

drdaddy
Thanks, interesting to know. I have read that liveaboards that venture further south along the coast of Sudan get to the best, most unspoiled diving in the Red Sea.

As much as I hate bureaucracy, restrictions on gloves and knives seem like reasonably small intrusions on my diving in return for a healthier reef. I can even tolerate a lame orientation lecture, as they require in Bonaire. But if I have to dive with a divemaster for more than a checkout dive that's a deal-killer, as are nanny laws against solo diving. There is plenty of fabulous reef in Indonesia, PNG, etc., that is accessible without all that aggravation and nursemaiding. I keep a log electronically, but the idea of me running around a liveaboard soliciting signatures or stamps from buddies or the crew is a little comical to me.

Thanks, interesting to know. I have read that liveaboards that venture further south along the coast of Sudan get to the best, most unspoiled diving in the Red Sea.

As much as I hate bureaucracy, restrictions on gloves and knives seem like reasonably small intrusions on my diving in return for a healthier reef. I can even tolerate a lame orientation lecture, as they require in Bonaire. But if I have to dive with a divemaster for more than a checkout dive that's a deal-killer, as are nanny laws against solo diving. There is plenty of fabulous reef in Indonesia, PNG, etc., that is accessible without all that aggravation and nursemaiding. I keep a log electronically, but the idea of me running around a liveaboard soliciting signatures or stamps from buddies or the crew is a little comical to me.

Too bad that the Israeli bureaucracy hasn't kept up with electronic dive logs :wink:

Last edited:
I don't log all my dives. I usually just log dives if I am using a different set up or if it is at a place I have not been to before. Basically I log to note something different so if I am not sure I can go back and check my log. On a dive to a known spot with a known configuration I don't bother to log the dive. I do have the luxury of having a dive partner who logs everything in detail and e-mails me a copy. I just look at it and tuck it in a folder.

I log all my dives, to start with it was because I thought I should, that lasted all of the dives that went into my first log book, then I got a hardbacked lined book costing next to nothing and recorded the data I wanted to record for fun.

While I currently remember my dives, its great to look back every now and then and think, wow, I remember that dive, it was the one with .....

Just like others have already said, while I don't go as far as drawing pics etc, its my memory trigger and like writing any form of diary, its personal to me, I'm sure others would look and wonder why I bothered :).

Why do I log dives?

Primarily to help me get my weight perfect for various configurations.

If I'm diving twin AL80s with a stainless-steel backplate and a trilaminate dry suit with two pairs of medium-weight long johns but no dry gloves and no can light, how much weight do I need?

Also log my dives to track my SAC during various activities for future dive planning.

Also log my dives to makes notes about tie-off points, primary lines, intersections, jumps and gaps, min and max depths, etc.

Also log dives just to keep track of what and when.

In the beginning I think it is something of a bragging right to get to the next merit badge. But as others have said it is actually becomes something more personal and memorable. Sort of like having pictures of a trip, only with words. Sometimes I wish I logged some or rather many of my dives. After awhile it is difficult to remember them all. If you have the discipline and stick with it I think it has rewards that go beyond just be able to step to the next merit badge. However, who am I to talk. I have not logged any dives. Making my son do it though.

Why do I log my dives?

Well several reasons,

1.keeping track on special dives.(seasons,locations etc.)
2.keeping track of students progress
3.Students asking me if I still log my dives(normaly I don't log training dives,unless someone skipped a skillsee #2.)

Do I worry about dive OP's asking for a log.:no: when I tell them I have 4000+ dives and most of them are in our cold and murky waters,they don't even bother for a checkout dive.:D

I like to log mine for my own enjoyment. I like to keep records and as posted many times above, specifics can be recalled easily about gear and dive locations.

Also, it may come in handy as an alibi. "No officer, I was fifty eight feet below the Carribean when my boss got hit by a car. And I have a witness who signed right here."

I travel a fair amount. Having a log of my weight requirements in different environments is very useful.

Outside of that, keeping a record of the wonders you've seen isn't an unreasonable burden either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom