Why do you spearfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love to dive.
The fact that you can feed yourself while doing something you love is a win/win. To all of the "fish huggers" I have this to say " it is a lot harder than you think to boat a fish over 20#, maybe you should try it.
Eric

I have yet to shot a speargun but I love catching lobsters. This is definetly the sport for me as I love to hunt and will be moving to Brasil next year where I seriously doubt there is any hunting for me.
Only one dive so far in Brasil but I saw more than enough fish to spear, wasnt like on the rigs in Louisiana but that might be an option soon as Brasil is getting more and more offshore platforms.

Because automatic weapons require Federal licenses????:D :D

I am another who has yet to fire a speargun. But I WILL! I have been fishing since I was a toddler. I LOVE scuba diving, and see plenty of big fish I'd be happy to land with a rod. To top it off, my father-in-law has been scuba diving since '69 and a spearo almost that long.

FD

I shot my first fish a few weeks ago. It felt great, even better when it was baking in the oven for dinner. Suprbugman likened my kill to shooting a squirel with a bazooka. Look at the size of that gun! Poor dumb sheepshead.

Pretty girl with a speargun, killed fish, and the knowledge to cook it?!

Darcy posting again? Crazy! :D

darcy:
I shot my first fish a few weeks ago.

Congrats Darcy!!! Welcome to the exciting sport of Spearfishing!!

The thrill of spearing fish in the crystal clear waters of the Bahamas has never left me since I started when I was 15.
I feel much more confident with a buddy but I will go down on my own.

I hope someone has had similar experiences

1 Story:
Speared a large grunt out of a school and then turned round to find a bull-shark easing up on me! Should I give him the fish and make him excited for more? I opted to keep it out of the water and swam to the rocks. When I climbed out he was so close I could have patted him.
The moral of the story: It can be a long, long, long way back to the rocks with a shark on your tail so spear-fishing from a boat with a good keep-up man is the wiser option.

The challenge of free-diving fish.
Free-dive down to the fish smoothly so as not to scare him. Hit him dead in 1 shot on the top of his head. Bring him up in the same breath. Spear-guns are forbidden in the Bahamas- we use the hawaian sling.

The ultimate kick is big nasty-looking barracuda.

What I do do which gives me the greatest kick is to spear large barracuda by hitting them dead in 1 shot. The kick is not to tremble when anticipating what he might do to me if I miss! Barracuda is the best meat you have ever tasted, but 1 in a 100 is poisonous and they can easily take your hand off with their razor-like teeth.

What I dont do is dive blue-water and spear tuna. I have pulled too many tuna out of the water where sharks have left me only with the head. I hate to think what they would do to me if I was in the water holding onto the spear stuck in a frantic tuna!
But people do it!

Crawfish:
There is nothing more relaxing than going from head to head finding crawfish. In the Bahamas we have tails up to 4lbs in weight.

Hogfish:
The sweetest meat in the sea and fun to spear (my favourite)

Yellow jacks
Fun to spear and if you leave one with a spear he will swim in a circle and you can pick off the others (but keep an exe open for interested sharks)

Grouper:
Hit them right because theres nothing worse than wasting a juicy grouper.

see my buddy who I fish with at
http://www.eleuthera.de/

:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom