Why does a bp work so well?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcat once bubbled...

ElectricZombie: i thought that was the case too. but not sure if that's the whole story. my backinflated bc has two non-ditchable weight pockets at the back (around the middle of my chest height). I used to have 2 lbs in each pocket, back when i was a newer diver and used more weights. didn't have any weights around my waist. i remembered not being able to keep horizontal trim while in a stationary hover as well. weird huh?

I think if you look while the bc in on you with a tank those trim pockets will be lower than you think. These trim pockets a rarely if ever in the right place.

The situation gets worse with a wet suit. You need more weight and you may even me trimmed fairly well near the surface. Once you descend though the suit compresses and you add air to the wing to compensate. This causes a shift in buoyancy from the entire suit to the wing. If your weight is on your hips it will stand you up.

Back
Top Bottom