Why does everyone say the snorkel is useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v_1matst:
I am somewhat of a newbie (AOW for a year now) so take this for what it's worth. I have used my snorkel on every dive I've made to date. I don't find that it gets in the way (I use a very simple, low profile one) and have never noticed drag because of it.
Its worth a lot because its honest. They don't get in the way and they don't create drag. They simply don't look cool and nobody wants to not look cool (rule 6 ya know?) so they all parrot the reasons they've heard others give for not wearing them.

If you're doing penetration dives, sure, its an extra hassle, leave it at home. If you're doing the standard tourist "Cozi" thing, you should carry it, you may need it when the boat crew leaves you at sea :)

WW

WreckWriter:
They simply don't look cool and nobody wants to not look cool (rule 6 ya know?) so they all parrot the reasons they've heard others give for not wearing them.

I'm just speaking for myself Tom, but I wear way too much yellow to be accused of trying to look cool. I put the snorkle aside because I was getting tired of grabbing it instead of my inflator, and didn't want to risk that confusion if I needed it in a time sensitive situation. I'm sure the choice of snorkle model had a lot to do with that.

I still recommend them to other people though... unless your snorkle is actively causing you problems, why not keep it with you?

If you feel you need a snorkel, you should probably wear one.

Part of the reason why many people don't use them is because it is not safe when used with a long-hose configuration, as it makes deploying the thing very difficult or impossible.

I personally also find that it causes drag, makes my mask leak, and my tanks are big enough that I don't need to worry about wasting a few cft of air. Plus, there isn't anything to look at where I live unless I'm within 10-15 feet of the bottom, so swimming face-down is pointless.

Soggy:
Plus, there isn't anything to look at where I live unless I'm within 10-15 feet of the bottom, so swimming face-down is pointless.

Good point... snorkles definately don't have as much appeal in lo-vis.

Too much Drag
Can't grab my inflator
Gets in the way when I'm not using it
Worthless in lo-vis

I'm leaving my camera in the gear bag

Allen42:
Well, I'm kinda partial to my tank/cylinder. :eyebrow:

(Couldn't resist.)

Yes but then you'll find at least 30 that say that one isn't enough, you need at least 2!
You can't win. :eyebrow:

v_1matst:
I am somewhat of a newbie (AOW for a year now) so take this for what it's worth. I have used my snorkel on every dive I've made to date. I don't find that it gets in the way (I use a very simple, low profile one) and have never noticed drag because of it.

My opinion is, better to have it and not use it than want it and not have it. If it is creating a problem for you though, then don't wear one but at least stow one.

I dont carry a snorkel on a dive for the same reason i dont carry a grand piano - both are utterly useless on a dive and neither have a positive effect on safety.

Because snorkels are useless. (Just kidding - they can be convenient when you have a long surface swim, for instance when shore diving) They WERE useful many years ago when there was only the old simple "J" type snorkel. You could easily give a diver in-water resusitation using mouth-to-snorkel, but the advent of the drain/check valve eliminated that possiblity.

Norm:
Because snorkels are useless. (Just kidding - they can be convenient when you have a long surface swim, for instance when shore diving) They WERE useful many years ago when there was only the old simple "J" type snorkel. You could easily give a diver in-water resusitation using mouth-to-snorkel, but the advent of the drain/check valve eliminated that possiblity.

Hardly essential even for that. In-water mouth-nose is taught and practiced and works just as efficiently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom