why does winter have higher visibility underwater than summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We can get startlingly good viz in the winter here in the Great Lakes. The algae dies back and I really like the turquoise quality the water gets in Georgian Bay.In May this year the water at Tobermory was clear enough that the wreck of the King was still visible at the end of a 200 ft dive reel. And the Dunderburg had 100 ft viz at the end of May. Water temps in the low to mid 40's.Toronto's Humber Bay occasionally has 40 ft viz if there has been a north wind for a couple of days in January. I don't dive there in the warmer parts of the year because of bacterial runoff, but even in February and March you can get a milky haze in the water, lots of silty stuff in the mid-40's water temps.So there are some more factors concerning winter viz.

In the Caribbean it is certainly true - in summer you get more growth in the water, but in the winter you also get stronger currents which helps keep the water clearer.

And, as someone else pointed out, more light in the summertime makes it "seem" clearer.

Greetings Nitro inland quarries and lakes when the water table stabilizes after the thermocline "turnover" and water temps cool vis improves.
I have personally seen vis in the 90+ in a local quarry and in local lakes in the 30+ sometimes even better which is rare.
When the ice comes on the vis usually even gets better in some as particulate matter settles.

There are specific bodies of water that never settle due to currents etc. but as a rule the vis is usually the best it will be in the winter.
Darker but clearer vis wise.

I prefer the vis in north FL in the springs where gin clear water resides most of the time.
However I do enjoy the ever changing vis of Lake Huron while on a wreck it can be stellar one moment and not so much the next!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Colder water temperature starts to freeze the eyeballs, as a self defense mechanism, they automatically 'tune up' to search for the exit and heater inside a structure.

Same thing happens on cold nights -- stars seem clearer for the same reason.

\sarc?

Back
Top Bottom