Why doesn't Rescue Diver expire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaviolator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As the time has come once again to get re-certified for CPR it made me rethink this certification. When a fellow diver on the boat tells me their a fellow Rescue Diver I assume they keep current with First Responder training. It seems this is solely based on the honor system which could really make a bad situation worse. If your depending on help when something goes wrong and a guy who was certified ten years ago has no idea what to do! :confused:

I think the reason it doesn't expire is that the diving part of it all is considered to be a skill lesson like other dive certifications. If I were wondering about a person's first aid skills being up to date, I would ignore the rescue diver certification entirely and ask about the first aid.

Years ago, when I had only maybe 50-60 lifetime dives, I did a dive in Cozumel that featured a well-off middle aged executive and his new trophy wife. (They were at our hotel and we actually got to know them a little, so I know what I'm talking about with that comment.) She was newly certified for the trip. He, on the other hand, was a Rescue Diver, and he made sure we knew we were in good hands in case anything happened.

She was a pretty decent diver. She had very reasonable skills for a new diver, and she seemed to be having a good time.

He was a disaster. He was easily the worst diver I have ever seen in real life. The DM literally held him by the arm during most of both dives.

IMHO...

Like you, I'm a guy who took the rescue diver class 10 years ago. I don't walk around saying "I'm a rescue diver." (in fact, when someone asks it's usually for a stupid reason so I usually just answer Nitrox and follow up with rescue if they really pry) and it's not my job for a diver to be "depending" on me when something goes wrong.

I took the class to be a more self reliant diver and a better buddy. In my opinion those are the two primary rescuers in a dive team. If I ever see another diver needing help, I'll try to do everything I can but the reality is if I'm not your buddy, you shouldn't be depending on me or a divemaster... especially the follow the leader kind.

I got the cert to make me a better diver and a better dive buddy. I guess the whole PADI (put another dollar in) just kills me sometimes... offering free CPR courses to all Rescue Diver certified divers would be nice!

Some companies will offer free CPR / First Aid classes to employees. That's how I've always kept mine current.

I got the cert to make me a better diver and a better dive buddy. I guess the whole PADI (put another dollar in) just kills me sometimes... offering free CPR courses to all Rescue Diver certified divers would be nice!

I think everyone who makes that joke about PADI should provide the service of naming agencies that don't do the same thing.

Assuming they can find one.

---------- Post Merged at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:40 PM ----------

BTW, PADI does not teach any of those classes. Dive shops and instructors who have PADI certification teach them. It is a job, and funny thing, they like to get paid for it.

While you could coerce instructors who wished to be affiliated with your agency, trying to convince the 'buying public' to invest the time, money & effort to get a temporary certification instead of a permanent one could undermine efforts to get more people to take the course.

And it is a good course to take!

Richard.

It's a joke not an attack on PADI... every training class I've attended outside of diving was never cheap to my employer either

---------- Post Merged at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Definitely a great and educational class to take, though I wish more divers would stay current with the first responder stuff instead of letting it expire... one of my dive buddies is guilty of this!

Companies used to offer CPR. As the economy has gotten worst I have not been offered much of anythings at no cost!

I usually get my cert renewed about every 5 years. I should keep it current but never do. However I have been CPR certified for 30+ years... on and off.

I am a rescue diver. I will help if I can but I am generally not the most qualified. I took rescue for self improvement.

Not defending PADI, but the Red Cross doesn't give it to you for free, why should they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom