Why doesn't Rescue Diver expire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though the rescue diver doesn't expire, don't you have to get the CPR portion renewed every 2 years??

hmmmmm - the main concept of my rescue class was essentially developing an awareness of heading off something BEFORE it can happen. Remember, the best rescue is the one that doesn't have to happen. Next came the skills - I don't see much need in re-certifying skills that were in OW, AOW, and again in Rescue (maybe it was my training, and I got something really good). After that, the textbook can be re-read for the "diagnosis" & BMP of treating accidents.

Now, as to first Aid, CPR, and O2 administration, re-certification/refresher is plausible....

As the time has come once again to get re-certified for CPR it made me rethink this certification. When a fellow diver on the boat tells me their a fellow Rescue Diver I assume they keep current with First Responder training. It seems this is solely based on the honor system which could really make a bad situation worse. If your depending on help when something goes wrong and a guy who was certified ten years ago has no idea what to do! :confused:

I think I will never again tell another diver I am rescue certified. I am not there for you to depend on.

Last edited:
What would the practical effect of an expiring Rescue Diver certification be? Unlike AOW, it's not used as an access pass to anything, as far as I know. Are there dives or dive boats that require a Rescue Diver certification? Or is it just that you can no longer tell your buddy you're a "rescue diver"?

What would the practical effect of an expiring Rescue Diver certification be? Unlike AOW, it's not used as an access pass to anything, as far as I know. Are there dives or dive boats that require a Rescue Diver certification? Or is it just that you can no longer tell your buddy you're a "rescue diver"?

Actually, rescue diver is a prerequisite for some scientific diving certifications with some government agencies. Probably a prerequisite made up by a non-diver. :p

CPR would be more crucial I guess - the Rescue bit is pretty much set during practice sessions - if you are a regular diver you are constantly thinking about it.

I have the course material but have not done course. This thread is interesting, particularly about "disclosing" (declaring) yourself as a rescue diver.. I think I will stick with saying "advanced" but I like the answer "photographer"; maybe I'll go with.. "Fish Whisperer"! (with a dramatic accent)

Bob in CO

The better question is "why don't all diving certs expire?"

All skills get rusty with time, and some are never properly learned in the first place.

Exactly my thoughts. Many things don't expire-like one's divers license (well, you have to pay to renew it, but no tests--though some would propose tests, especially for the aged). I would be ticked off if any of my dive certs. needed to be renewed (although our LDS requires CPR every 2 years to remain an active DM--I have my thoughts on that--, but not a renewal of DM skills or Rescue course). It's a matter of trust and reaponsibility--you should keep all of those skills in good shape. Less rules-more individual responsibility.

I got the cert to make me a better diver and a better dive buddy. I guess the whole PADI (put another dollar in) just kills me sometimes... offering free CPR courses to all Rescue Diver certified divers would be nice!

Once you have taken a CPR class you should know how to do a proper chest compression and how to do rescue breaths.

If your need is to keep current with CPR standards all you have to do is be able to read. The AHA and ILCOR publish their most current guidelines for CPR. 2010 AHA Guidelines for CPR & ECC

Why should PADI, a Dive Shop or anyone for that matter duplicate their efforts? Not to mention that a lot of hospitals, community centers, churches, etc. will offer a CPR class either free or at a nominal cost to the participant.

I also know of at least 2 other dive instructors that will let you audit any of their rescue classes once you are Rescue certified.

Even though the rescue diver doesn't expire, don't you have to get the CPR portion renewed every 2 years??

I believe they suggest you renew your CPR every two years is because most people will not practice or even keep up with the most current guidelines so refreshing your knowledge every two years is recommended. But in reality, if your CPR has lapsed the person in need of CPR won't care if you attended a class within the last 24 months.

Rescue doesn't expire because it's not a professional rating and you don't have to pay yearly to maintain the rating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom