Why don't whales get DCI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbacarella

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Whales are mammals that breathe air and can dive 10,000 feet.

This question applies to all undersea creatures, really. How are they so robust and we humans so fragile?

...and they've found evidence that they can get DCI in instances.

Whales are not breathing compressed air at depth.

Compressed air is not necessary. Deep free divers have been known to get DCS.

because they don't have scuba tanks strapped to them. I'm sure if you could rig scuba to a whale, have them breathe a PO2 over 1.6%, have them nar'd on nitrogen, have them exceed tissue saturation for nitrogen to be in deco, then have them ascend holding thier breath that whale could get dci too...

if whales dive beyond thier training....lol

As do deepwater fish if you reel them up too fast I guess. So bad a case of it their eyes pop out and stuff :p

Whales are mammals that breathe air and can dive 10,000 feet. This question applies to all undersea creatures, really. How are they so robust and we humans so fragile?

There is actually a lively and intense debate about his very topic.

At the most primitive level, you have the Dugong, a sloppy, malodorous creature who bumbles indiscriminately through the shallows, clumsily plowing up fetid clouds of rotting detritus. In their own Dugong forum, ABCD regularly castigates them, but XY&Z tries to help them to evolve to a higher form.

In between, you have the carefree baleen whales and porpoises, who mainly stay in shallow, sunlit waters and, often jumping and playing, blithely enjoy the underwater world. They are relatively free to wander, and often they stumble into bays, estuaries, and forums where they are not wanted. In Japan and on Scubaboard, they are often rounded up and slaughtered for meat.

At the top of the heap, you have the mighty sperm whales - forbidding, toothed leviathans that routinely dive deep into the cold black abyss, in well-trained cooperative teams, to feed on the fearsome and malevolent giant squid. Not much is known of them, because they have their own forum with special rules and hoses.

Last edited:
The question is, why don't they get shallow water blackout?

The question is, why don't they get shallow water blackout?
Actually, the real question is "how can I learn to hold my breath as long as them or buy a set of gills" :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom