Why have a zipper on a wing, if you can't........ (warning a longish rant follows)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP.
I carry AP's tear aid in my save a dive kit. - A.P.Diving Direct

It is exactly what you require (assuming you don't have an RF welder "!") & is easy to use.
I have repaired a couple of inner wings using this kit 4 years ago - still going strong. I found that cutting the material into circles meant that the corners / edges were a lot less likely to lift.

Thanks for the link!

Sadly, I have already returned the two bladders to the manufacturer or I would have given the tape a try.... I may actually order some anyway for "just in case".

Hopefully I'll hear back from the manufacturer before too long.... its been a few weeks.... seems like forever when you have to back to using "poodle jackets" (jacket BC's)... :depressed:

Best wishes.

This is a community, and there is, IMO, a responsibility to present solid useful, accurate information.

Tobin

Since you are so focused on getting out accurate and solid information, maybe you can elaborate on the "tools" and "expertise" required (post 13) to remove bladders from systems where they can be removed?

Since you are so focused on getting out accurate and solid information, maybe you can elaborate on the "tools" and "expertise" required (post 13) to remove bladders from systems where they can be removed?

This seems, at least to me, as quite aggressive to Tobin. - IF its not fair enough,

There are divers/dive operators that can do this job with just a toothpick - & then there are others that couldn't with using any amount of tools.

I'd put Tobin in the former (having never met him) as you only have to look at some of the quality of his work. He is however not representive of the dive industry.

One should consider *why* most wing manufacturers prefer to have the wing returned, vs shipping out a bladder.

I can assure you that returns and repairs are *not* a profit center. Most returns involve considerable communication with the customer, packages that some times arrive with no return address or contact info, frequent demands that the repair be done "yesterday", expedited outgoing freight, minute by minute requests for updates and tracking numbers etc. etc. etc.

Is it all the $$ the manufacturers make on the labor charge? I doubt it, in any event DSS doesn't charge for labor to replace a bladder.

The single reason we prefer to do the work (for free!) is to insure the customer gets a safe working wing on the first try.

Tobin

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2013 at 07:20 AM ----------

The tools are known as BC wrenches. Google it.

Expertise is not something I can convey via the internet, sorry. Assembling a few hundred wings and seeing every possible screwup is how you get expertise.

Tobin

Thanks for the link!

Sadly, I have already returned the two bladders to the manufacturer or I would have given the tape a try.... I may actually order some anyway for "just in case".

Hopefully I'll hear back from the manufacturer before too long.... its been a few weeks.... seems like forever when you have to back to using "poodle jackets" (jacket BC's)... :depressed:

Best wishes.

If you haven't already bought the Tear Aid tape, I also HIGHLY recommend it for any save-a-dive kit. I carry both type A and type B.
Also keep some in the car, med kit, flight bag, blah blah blah

Sold on Amazon, REI, and EMS

LeadTurn_SD - I removed the bladders from the wings, and found that in each case a section of bladder seam had failed...the bonding or welding of the seam had separated. In one case the separation was several inches long.

There are a bunch of manufacturers (Halcyon, DiveRite, Hollis etc) that have a Lifetime Warranty on "Seam" failures. I would think that since it is only 5 yrs old, they would cover it. I have seen BC's in my shop that are way older then that, still holding air and no seam issues.

LeadTurn_SD - I removed the bladders from the wings, and found that in each case a section of bladder seam had failed...the bonding or welding of the seam had separated. In one case the separation was several inches long.

There are a bunch of manufacturers (Halcyon, DiveRite, Hollis etc) that have a Lifetime Warranty on "Seam" failures. I would think that since it is only 5 yrs old, they would cover it. I have seen BC's in my shop that are way older then that, still holding air and no seam issues.

Thanks for replying Wayne.

I did mail the bladders in to the manufacturer on June 25. I'm hopeful that it will be covered under warranty, but I'm actually "ok" even if the manufacturer determines it is not. I'm just hoping to avoid the expense of buying 2 new wings.

I'm still optimistic this will be resolved one way or the other, but have now given up hope that it was going to be handled quickly, since it approaching a month since I mailed the bladders, and two weeks since the manufacturer said "we'll be getting to them in 2-3 working days".

The reason for my "rant" about not being able to buy replacement bladders is the long delay in getting the wings back in the water.

Best wishes.

As to the op's question about replacing bladders, the same thought went through my head when I had to send my wing in to the manufacturer(probably same company). I was willing to pay for the bladder because I needed it by the next weekend. They did replace it under warranty and I had it back by the weekend. I did call the day the tracking number said it arrived and asked if it could be looked at as soon as possible. All said and done it took one week for the transaction to take place vs two days if I just purchased the part. The stuff we are dealing with is recreational equipment, as my time to recreate is very limited not having the equipment there and ready to use can put a damper on my very limited "ME" time. Yes it may sound selfish but until I win the lottery and don't have to work to feed the family this is how I will feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to the op's question about replacing bladders, the same thought went through my head when I had to send my wing in to the manufacturer(probably same company). I was willing to pay for the bladder because I needed it by the next weekend. They did replace it under warranty and I had it back by the weekend. I did call the day the tracking number said it arrived and asked if it could be looked at as soon as possible. All said and done it took one week for the transaction to take place vs two days if I just purchased the part. The stuff we are dealing with is recreational equipment, as my time to recreate is very limited not having the equipment there and ready to use can put a damper on my very limited "ME" time. Yes it may sound selfish but until I win the lottery and don't have to work to feed the family this is how I will feel.

Quick turnaround repairs is something we put considerable effort into at DSS. Most repairs are done the day we receive the goods, with, or without the customer requesting it. It's not cheap or easy, but I too am a consumer and value good customer service.

Experience has however shown me that furnishing whatever the customer demands regarding spare parts is far less likely to actually solve the problem in a timely manner. Often the customer thinks they have one problem when they have another, or the customer orders only one part when they might need more than that. That causes more frustration, more delays and more cost.

My advice for all divers with big trip coming up; check all your gear a couple weeks ahead of time.

Tobin

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom