why helium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My price on HE actually went down when I switched to a new supplier. I was paying $98 per T, now I am paying $56 per T.

Shop around.

There is not that much more to see below 150' unless you are interested in doing some recovery or deep wreck diving (more training, of course) and I agree with both DA and WeDive that mixing gases beyond Nitrox for anything less than a deep dive is ludicrous and wasteful of the limited resource - of course H is more available than He and off gassing is even faster but the blending is hairy at best (you're messing with the triangle of fire with this mix... your tank valving very well might become the ignition).

Nonetheless, it is interesting stuff. I'm not a tech diver, not a deep diver, not interested in pushing my tissue compartments or myoptics (I'm 57) but certainly am considering at least learning more about it (and this is the place - thanks for the lesson DA).

There is not that much more to see below 150' unless you are interested in doing some recovery or deep wreck diving (more training, of course)
Unless of course you want to look at some types of sponges that just start at around that level.

Not much to see past XYZ...LOL

I agree Jeff. I always laugh when I read those comments........... how do you know where I dive and what I see? 150ft on a tropical reef has some things, 150ft in the US altantic coast has some nice wrecks, 150ft in certain caves is just the entrance...... and this is just the beginning.

I have seen more than one interesting 'thing' below 150ft. on
dives....it's like going into the back room of an antique shop....all the real goodies are in the dark.

I have seen more than one interesting 'thing' below 150ft. on
dives....it's like going into the back room of an antique shop....all the real goodies are in the dark.

TEX is LYING!!!!

There is nothing to see below 130 ft, NOTHING AT ALL!!!! Don't even think of going deeper. All the pretty stuff is above 130.

Helium is a myth. Leave it to the nutjobs that are crazy enough to go below 150 ft. Besides it costs too much, so don't buy it!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and find NEMO :D

TEX is LYING!!!!

There is nothing to see below 130 ft, NOTHING AT ALL!!!! Don't even think of going deeper. All the pretty stuff is above 130.

Helium is a myth. Leave it to the nutjobs that are crazy enough to go below 150 ft. Besides it costs too much, so don't buy it!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and find NEMO :D

Dang I have been caught again..... :(

:wink:

There is not that much more to see below 150' unless you are interested in doing some recovery or deep wreck diving (more training, of course) and I agree with both DA and WeDive that mixing gases beyond Nitrox for anything less than a deep dive is ludicrous and wasteful of the limited resource - of course H is more available than He and off gassing is even faster but the blending is hairy at best (you're messing with the triangle of fire with this mix... your tank valving very well might become the ignition).

Nonetheless, it is interesting stuff. I'm not a tech diver, not a deep diver, not interested in pushing my tissue compartments or myoptics (I'm 57) but certainly am considering at least learning more about it (and this is the place - thanks for the lesson DA).

Not much to see below 150'? Ludicrous? And from what are you basing your conclusions? Surely SB is not providing you all the information you need to make your assessment. If these decisions are based on your extensive tech and deep diving in various locales around the world, then I apologize in advance and I am all ears.... :popcorn:

The argument between deep air diving and using trimix has been beaten to death and I for one have zero interest in trying to convince those who have already made up their minds regarding this. Simply put, the preponderance of scientific evidence clearly shows that no one "adapts to", "learns to tolerate" or "becomes accustomed to" narcosis any more than you become "adapted" to the effects of alcohol. Impaired is impaired. Period.
I will not debate the merits of deep air because I think diving to depths beyond recreational limits on air is not smart. I also don't feel that there is a great tolerance to be aquired other than being better able to deal with intoxication which is no smarter than learning to drive a car after a 6-pack.
The point I am debating is the recent trend toward calling depths between 100-130ft "deep air". When I started tech diving deep air was the only way to go. Trimix was there but several levels of training higher than that which was going to get me to 180ft on air. I don't do those dives anymore because I know better but the concept that 100ft is too deep for air and that an END of 60ft should be desired just makes me laugh. Again I say there are those (usually CO2 retainers) who get narced early and maybe they should use trimix but I don't see the value from my experience.
Do you consider recreational depth < 130ft to be deep air?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom