Why I have decided to stop shopping for ANYTHING at the LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, this past week I had gone to my LDS and said, Hey, I need a wrist mount compass boot and a computer boot. He had had the computer boot in stock, but not the compass boot, Ok, says I, gimme the computer boot, and I will come back for the compass boot on monday or tuesday. He had quoted me a price on each boot of 16 bux, which I thought was perfect since http://shop.diversdirect.com/item/Aeris Compass Wrist Boot_ID12139 has them at 13 bucks. I like supporting local business and it was worth 3 bux to me. I paid for the computer boot right then and there, and took the computer with me, but no compass. I paid for the compass boot when I picked it up last night. 38 dollars! (mind you this is with 2 air fills at 3 dollars a piece so 32 bux) He under quoted me by 100%. I say "hey whats up" and he says "i am not making any money off of you this is what it cost me"...While I am a nice guy and don't like confrontation I wanted to slap him in the face and point him only at divers direct where he could order them himself for 13 bux, and have still made some sort of profit. Needless to say, he will only be seeing air fill purchases from me in the future.

I don't understand? $16 per boot = $32 right?

Ohhh he charged you $32 for the compass boot by itself?

Wow.

lord1234:
So, this past week I had gone to my LDS and said, Hey, I need a wrist mount compass boot and a computer boot. He had had the computer boot in stock, but not the compass boot, Ok, says I, gimme the computer boot, and I will come back for the compass boot on monday or tuesday. He had quoted me a price on each boot of 16 bux, which I thought was perfect since http://shop.diversdirect.com/item/Aeris Compass Wrist Boot_ID12139 has them at 13 bucks. I like supporting local business and it was worth 3 bux to me. I paid for the computer boot right then and there, and took the computer with me, but no compass. I paid for the compass boot when I picked it up last night. 38 dollars! (mind you this is with 2 air fills at 3 dollars a piece so 32 bux) He under quoted me by 100%. I say "hey whats up" and he says "i am not making any money off of you this is what it cost me"...While I am a nice guy and don't like confrontation I wanted to slap him in the face and point him only at divers direct where he could order them himself for 13 bux, and have still made some sort of profit. Needless to say, he will only be seeing air fill purchases from me in the future.

Well ... OK ... but given that it probably costs him more than $3 per tank to run and maintain his compressor, don't be surprised if he suggests that you'd be happer getting your air fills somewhere else as well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well ... OK ... but given that it probably costs him more than $3 per tank to run and maintain his compressor, don't be surprised if he suggests that you'd be happer getting your air fills somewhere else as well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Honestly, I'm a little surprised we haven't seen reports of this starting to occur.

The LDS business model is really broken at this point and needs to change.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, but the guy quoted him 16 for the ordered boot - that should be the charge. Granted, our boy here could have said he won't take it for 32... Plus, comments like, "I am not making any money off you..." really wouldn't endear me to this particular shop. Maybe the lds guy misquoted on the request - It would be an act of good faith to provide it for the original quoted amount and that would certainly make me feel like that the guy knows his business and is in it for the long haul, and would see future business from me.

he told me that 16 was the 2004 price...and the 2005 price went up...but i just can't believe that it DOUBLED

lord1234:
he told me that 16 was the 2004 price...and the 2005 price went up...but i just can't believe that it DOUBLED

Then just tell him to keep the boot, and buy it elsewhere.

Deep Sea Supply makes some nice ones for less money than that ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lord1234:

Bottom line is most shops suck. I have not been to too many that did'nt.

You can't tell me at the time the LDS ordered the compass boot they didn't know what price they were going to have to pay for it. If the boot actually cost $32 the right thing on the part of the LDS would have been to call the customer and say hey, the boot is going to cost twice what I quoted you. Do you still want it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom