Why I like Belize City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damascus, Baghdad, Newark, Detroit and Oakland all are blessed with rich history and other stuff...haven't scheduled any vacation trips there though. Like to relax a bit on vacation.

Next you'll be telling us the diving is good in Liberia and Monroe has many fascinating characters .

Found myself in Kingston Jamaica one time that was interesting. Certainly gives you perspective.

I just had to click on this thread to see what the author might be smoking. Belize city is a rat hole and violence is everywhere. It's trashy and smells. Drugs, disease, gangs and the armpit of the country. Citizens of Belize agree and try to avoid it. I guess this thread was intended to be a joke and some how got off track.
Belize City is easy to avoid. The international Airport is in Ladyville and I grab an island hopper to the Cays when I come and go.

Belize City contains more Belizeans than any other city - 20% of the people of Belize live there. There certainly are some rough spots and there are areas to avoid - but that does not make it a rat hole. Downing is a bit of an adventurer and likes to experience Belize first hand and is very competent to do just that and I am absolutely certain that he was not there to buy drugs or experience violence or bad odours. Yes, I think the article is a bit tongue in cheek, but it does point out a way of seeing to best of Belize City in a safe way. Belize City is not a great tourist destination and BTB and the local government is working to improve the impression it leaves with visitors to Belize and BTB deserve our support in that endeavor.
Regards
Ralph

I just had to click on this thread to see what the author might be smoking. Belize city is a rat hole and violence is everywhere. It's trashy and smells. Drugs, disease, gangs and the armpit of the country. Citizens of Belize agree and try to avoid it. I guess this thread was intended to be a joke and some how got off track.
Belize City is easy to avoid. The international Airport is in Ladyville and I grab an island hopper to the Cays when I come and go.

Hi have an expat friend that has lived in San Pedro for a number of years. She's often finding interesting things to do in Belize City. Her last outing IIRC was to a museum which she found immensely interesting. As Downing said, there are different kinds of travelers. I haven't ever stayed overnight in Belize City but have wandered around a bit over the years. I used to find it quite interesting if not overall visually appealing, especially finding local eating places.

If you are the traveler that wants to take the water taxi or the bus, you are going to see some of the City. Parts of the City can be beautiful, the worst parts you aren't going to find yourself anyway.

It would be a wonderful thing if BTB and people of Belize were able to improve the area for themselves as well as tourists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom