Why is Abolone harvesting closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharksdeleight: Your post brought back lots of memories. In the early 70's I lived just off WindNSea beach in La Jolla. There is/was a small reef just a short swim from the
North side of the beach. Plenty of Abalone and Lobster always there. The "pipeline" off
Point Loma was also a rich site for Abalone living along the rocks that supported the pipe. Never failed to limit out on those dives. Hope the poplulation recovers.

I'm developed mixed feelings towards the potential reopening of the commercial abalone fishery off San Miguel Island. My gut reaction is that it is just not right to reopen take there since the remnant population may well be critical to repopulating the other Channel Islands and the southern California mainland. On the other hand, an old ab diver who I respect for his commitment to conservation in general thinks that a limited harvest there will be OK.

Abalone are extremely slow growers, a Red Ab taking as much as 10 years to grow to legal size. Its going to take decades for nature to replenish the So. Cal stocks and in my opinion, its a bad idea to reopen Ab collecting of any kind. It will just prolong the recovery. Dr. Bill, I think your gut reaction is correct, it just hasn't been long enough for the Abs to recover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom