Why is this so addictive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy:
TSandM's husband checking in.

I'm afraid I've unleashed a monster that will grow uncontrollably -- I only hope that some of you can help me direct it!

Stop her now before she mortgages your house on a 37 foot cruising yacht (because if you average it over 5,000 dives in the Caribbean, it's a bit cheaper to bring your own lodging and compressor.). :wink:

Peter Guy:

I'm afraid I've unleashed a monster that will grow uncontrollably -- I only hope that some of you can help me direct it!

We've been married for 17+ years and I'd had Zero success in getting her to contemplate diving until a couple of months ago (don't ask!).

In the space of two months she has gone from a "I'll NEVER get into cold water" to "I can't stand the thought of ending a dive even IF I'm shivering." Or, to put it another way, she has gone from wanting to spend all day at the barn (we both ride and raise horses) to "Oh well, I haven't ridden in two weeks [her first warm water/clear vis experience on Molokini] so Eis [one of her horses] won't mind another day off while we go diving."

And now I read on another thread she is "contemplating" a purchase of a cannister light and needs information on transporting NiMH batteries on planes!

A monster I say -- An uncontrollable monster has invaded my wife.

Please help -- Please -- what should I do? What can I do?

Or is this just God's way of telling me I really do need to get twin strobes and a housing for my dSLR?
You'd better spend your money on dive gear before she spends it on her dive gear... :D

Firebrand, and Rick summed it up perfectly for me. It is the idea of exploring places few have gone before, as well as the unknown. Humans are land animals. We now have the ability to explore and experience places on earth that we were not designed to see. We are pushing the limits of our abilities (hopefully safely) and seeing things that most people will never experience. You could dive the same place every single day and there will almost always be something new to see. As divers, we are adventurers. We are always looking for adventure and that is why we have such a hard time staying out of the water.

Andrew

fpsndiver:
I wonder if my wife would buy this argument?

This is one wife that would buy this argument - I wonder if my husband would buy it?

Becky

Peter Guy:

Or is this just God's way of telling me I really do need to get twin strobes and a housing for my dSLR?

I think you are right - you are being told to get the uw camera gear. :)

Becky

I'm not addicted at all.

I can stop anytime I want.

I even cut back for a while once... see?

I don't need to dive, I just do it 'cause I like it.

Don't feel bad Rick, it happens to all of us. I once let my gear dry last Febuary.

Santa:
Someone once described unaided human flight as the noble art of hurling oneself very forcibly towards the ground - and missing (due to some last minute distraction).

That particular someone also happened to be a diver. May he RIP.

Peter Guy:

We've been married for 17+ years and I'd had Zero success in getting her to contemplate diving until a couple of months ago (don't ask!).

In the space of two months she has gone from a "I'll NEVER get into cold water" to "I can't stand the thought of ending a dive even IF I'm shivering." Or, to put it another way, she has gone from wanting to spend all day at the barn (we both ride and raise horses) to "Oh well, I haven't ridden in two weeks [her first warm water/clear vis experience on Molokini] so Eis [one of her horses] won't mind another day off while we go diving."

And now I read on another thread she is "contemplating" a purchase of a cannister light and needs information on transporting NiMH batteries on planes!

A monster I say -- An uncontrollable monster has invaded my wife.

Please help -- Please -- what should I do? What can I do?

Wasn't there some old teenage horror b-flic called "I married the monster from the black lagoon?"

You're done for mate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom