Why no deco dives off charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on my research, most active charter boats run two separate trips for the rec. and tech diver groups. They used to go out with the minimu four divers. So, do more research on the charter boats and group.

It also depends what your definition of 'deco' is....

Staying 5 mins longer than NDL on a recreation depth dive could simply mean a mandatory safety stop... I don't see that as any big deal. Slinging a single stage of 50% for use during two dives for my own well being - usually not an issue provided I keep my run-time acceptable, over 60 mins would be excessive.

Showing up w/ two sets of doubles, scooters, expecting to do a 90min dive - obviously tech and best not mixed.

what would happen if you were on a no deco boat, but you and your buddy did a planned deco dive anyway? I mean they wouldnt want you to blow off your deco time and get bent right?

Basically that would be a pretty rude move.

You would piss off the captain, piss off the mate, piss off the other divers who had to sit around in the sun and wait for your butt to surface after your deco, and if a storm was moving in and the winds rising you might put everyone on the boat at risk or at the least force them to endure a really rough ride back to port.

You could expect at minimum being yelled at in front of everyone, some complaints from your fellow divers, and being banned from that boat in the future.

And you'd likely deserve it.

Doing a deco dive on a "no deco" boat is something you just don't plan to do.

FWIW. YMMV.

wallacm:
what would happen if you were on a no deco boat, but you and your buddy did a planned deco dive anyway? I mean they wouldnt want you to blow off your deco time and get bent right?

No, I'm guessing they would not want you to blow off deco and get bent. All you are going to wind up doing is pis*ing off the captain and getting banned from the boat. Many of the boats do not allow deco diving for insurance reasons.

wallacm:
It's kind of like the guy that does a 90 minute dive when everyone else has agreed to a 60 minute dive, and then a move to another site. You get to do the dive you want, but only by violating the social contract you have with the boat crew and the rest of the divers.

Don't plan on ever doing another dive on that dive boat, and if you are flagrant enough, I'll bet you that the various captains in an area will warn the others about you.

Doc - would that be amusement parkery?

On almost every boat I go on, 'chica and I are first in, last back. But the key to long dives is asking the DM what time they want us back. If they don't give a time, I'm not late. We regularly make 70 - 90 minute dives on our 130's, phat filled for the first dive of the day.

If the boat is on a tight schedule, and DM says be back in an hour, we are always, always on the step in 59 minutes. Its just the rules - you don't want to be a clown to these people.

Doing intentional deco on a rec trip is engaging in flagrant clownery, and will result in the very least a cold lunch, shaving cream in your hood or worse - stares and shaking heads from the rest of the divers. If its not a complete accident, it also shows you can't manage a dive plan and are worse than a clown. You're dangerous.

Don't be an clown. Be courteous. Be on time.

There are plenty of boats that will take you deco diving - but they are generally private charters, or tech charters.

---
Ken

Off Cape Lookout, NC the wrecks are all...with the exception of a couple...within recreational dive limits and it's recreational divers that book most of the charters. Most of the time the captains take divers to 2 different sites and it is a burden to hold up the majority of divers while a couple deco. Saying that...there are charters specifically for deco during the week...Basic supply and demand...

Hire a charter for deco during mid-week; usually the same price (slightly bigger tip though) as a week-end rec three-hour tour.

hadn't planned on doing it, just something that i always wondered about. it was more of a joke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom