Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly are you waiting for before you decide to take the class?

bradshsi:
So by your metric, would you recommend people directly out of OW should take this class ?
Much would depend on the mindset of the person coming out a recent OW course. You do need to be a little thick skinned because as I noted they are up front about your mistakes. If ones feelings are easily bruised then it would be better to wait until they realize they probably need this kind of training.

If you can't take it when someone say that you're doing something wrong, there are bigger issues at hand here.

jonnythan:
I think jbd took his class "way back in the day" before the gear requirements solidified a bit.
It was a few years ago. MHK and Sonya were the instructors. IIRC all the others had the prescribed gear. One of the comments by MHK was to the affect that what type of BC being used wasn't really the important issue. The important issue is that once a diver truly understands what bouyancy control and trim are they can dive with an inner tube around their body.

One of the things I wanted to do was get a handle on WHY people who think it would be a good class aren't taking it, because there might be a way to address those issues. For example, offering equipment rental at a reduced cost might be a possibility.

I got almost 36 hours of instruction over the three days of my class -- that made it cost less than $10 an hour, which is pretty cheap for the extraordinary level of instruction we got. I've paid over $200 an hour for that caliber of teaching on horseback!

I know DIR is not a cult but it's funny than even in this thread everyone keeps referring to JJ, GI3, MHK. What other discussion of diving ever involves name dropping? Who cares what JJ said. If it's valuable why not just pass the info along. Why is it so important to continue to preface valuable information with "JJ said"?

For what's it's worth I think DIRF would teach many people many things that would be worthwhile.

gcbryan:
Why is it so important to continue to preface valuable information with "JJ said"?
Because GI3 said so.

bradshsi:
So I'm a slow learner and not a natural underwater. For me 50 dives is too few (75-100 seems about right. At the rate I dive this is 1-2 years worth, since I have to date 30 dives).

You might not agree with it (as you are certainly entitled to do), but it's a pace that I'm comfortable with. I'm sure for others 20 dives would be a sufficient intro.
Bradshi,
I obviously don't know you and really know nothing about your actual dive training or the actual level of skill you have but given the number of dives you have and the probable training you've had to this point I would say you are an ideal candidate for a DIRF course. It will move you forward in diving and the actual enjoyment of diving tremendously. It really is a worthwhile class. Now if your training to date was such that these skills are incorporated in your training, as I do in my OW course, then you may not really need the course unless you intend to take other training through GUE.

It would be really nice if the class could be taught with a bit more equipment flexibility as was the case with me.

I am a "take it or leave it diver" and am open to anything DIR offers that I like. Love the gear, the long hose, the minimalistic function-oriented equipment.

I don't think the rigidity it requires brings anything to the table for me. For example, the other day my post regarding SMB attachment to my eclipse D-ring was pulled. Holding a camera with strobes, and blowing the SMB for our captain on drifts would not work as well packed in my backplate pocket. I can almost do it one-handed and it seems really silly to me to follow what works for another diver and the need to be conforming. The generalized notion that if it is clipped on my butt, it will somehow be less of an entanglement issue just makes no sense. I enter wrecks and can see for myself how I might get caught, and I prefer to have it in close proximity to my opposing thumbs, in direct line of sight. The x-shorts create so much drag and seem to be just another item to market, and sell to divers who have been told that this is THE way to carry an item.

The word "fundamental" says it all because fundamentalism connotes certain characteristics whether art, religion, etc. I prefer the option of diving solo at times and adapting to a given environment or even dive culture. So far, I have observed DIR divers often do not make decisions the way I think, but rather follow a set of protocols.

The other thing that I feel is dangerous about DIR philosophy is that often their minds cannot encompass other's views. For example, many threads in Basic Scuba often turn into long discussions of "the DIR" approach to a problem...which is fine because I like to hear all views. But then in the DIR forum, the DIR divers don't really want (or allow) any discussion outside the realm of the DIR way. It is not reciprocal, which is acceptable to me, but I want to be free to choose from a much broader set of options. I like thinking for myself, and to follow a pre-determined set of solutions actually detracts from my diving enjoyment. I am not a conformist in my approach to anything else--it does not fit my identity. Having said that, it is intellectually very well thought out and superior in many ways so I try to get exposure when possible.

gcbryan:
I know DIR is not a cult but it's funny than even in this thread everyone keeps referring to JJ, GI3, MHK. What other discussion of diving ever involves name dropping? Who cares what JJ said. If it's valuable why not just pass the info along. Why is it so important to continue to preface valuable information with "JJ said"?

For what's it's worth I think DIRF would teach many people many things that would be worthwhile.

You must have missed my post....
SparticleBrane:
I had a conversation with a WKPP member several months ago...He also said "DON'T do something one way just because JJ does it like that. YOU need to understand why we like it like that, before you use it."

Most people on the internet who push DIR seem to blindly follow the idea without thinking--I believe that those people are NOT DIR, because of that. They aren't thinking for themselves--and GUE's biggest push is to create thinking divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom