Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
instructors travel etc aside do you guys really feel $300 is too high a price?
If the student doesn't understand why the class even exists, or how it would help them...then yes, they would perceive the price as just being to high.

jonnythan:
Because it would require most people to completely change the gear setup they own/use/rent/whatever for an idea that they may not understand or simply be opposed to.

It's expensive, it's tough, it's very controversial, and requires considerable dedication from the student to simply sign up. It's in many cases ridiculed and often purported by non-DIR as some "Tech" class.

I agree. I don't think a lot of divers understand what it is and a lot don't want to put the time in. As you know, I'm not DIR but I do think that the skills taught in Fundies would benefit most all divers.
The expense part of it is very valid too. Diving is expensive as it is and for someone to change a lot of their equipment over to that style is something that they simply can't afford.

jonnythan:
It's expensive, it's tough, it's very controversial, and requires considerable dedication from the student to simply sign up.

And I think people additionally focus on the "pass" rate as if it something of significance (which in my opinion it is not). Whether people admit it or not, most people want the card at the end and seem to be put off by the concept of more expensive training that does not result in everyone automatically passing just by virtue of completing the course.

You have to look at DIR-F as a seminar. Absorb everything you can...get your head kicked in...and then commit to practicing the skills and making the changes you need to make to be a better diver and teammate. In effect, the published cost of the course is only the beginning. I think a lot of people see that and just head the other way.

Personally, I took Fundamentals 3 years ago and LOVED it. I had a great time, had a great instructor, and learned more than my pea brain could hold. I've been out of the water for three years (law school) and have just gotten back in (this time in doubles). I'm gonna take Fundamentals again in the September. I am going to get killed...absolutely hammered. But I am going to take the criticism and the video and the feedback and turn it into a positive experience that makes me a better diver.

Honestly...everyone should forget what they think they know about GUE/DIR based on what they read on the internet, what their friend told them, etc. Sign up for the class with an open mind and hear them out for the four days. At the end of the four days, if you absolutely hate the approach, hate the agency, hate the people...it will be an educated conclusion. I'm willing to bet you won't... :D

jonnythan:
For 3 complete days of instruction from a world-class GUE instructor?

Let me put it this way. My recent 2-day motorcycle class (only 8 hours a day with a generic "I've been riding for 5 years" instructor) was $275 and I think it was a hell of a value.
" world-class GUE instructor?"
Thats EXACTLY what Im talking about.
Im more than happy to use the parts of DIR I like but I'll be damned if anyone is going to tell me EXACTLY where I should carry my sausage at.

I don't think many people can imagine the skill that some divers have and the effortless way the move in the water. You can talk about it all you want, but seeing it is entirely different and awe inspiring. I haven't taken fundies, but I took an IANTD course from a DIR diver (and IANTD Trimix instructor) and practically got fundyized in the process. :)

I never would have imagined diving with 3 stage bottles on the left side of my body where I was able to maintain my depth and bouyancy, but miracles do happen. :D

We paid a lot more than $300: over $2,000 for 8 days of diving for me and my buddy with our instructor. And it was worth every penny.

I was able to acquire the dive skills through a great mentor and a crap load of practice.

Wildcard:
And some of us just don't want to be arrogant DIR types.
Wildcard:
I'll be damned if anyone is going to tell me EXACTLY where I should carry my sausage at.

Pot, meet Kettle.

That realy dosn't make sense?
Let me be clear, Im not aganst DIR, it does produde some awsome divers. What Im aganst is the whole "this is the only right way" attitude put out by so many DIR types.

Wildcard:
What Im aganst is the whole "this is the only right way" attitude put out by so many DIR types.
The only response to this is "Woooooosh". You see only what you want to see.

Wildcard:
That realy dosn't make sense?
Let me be clear, Im not aganst DIR, it does produde some awsome divers. What Im aganst is the whole "this is the only right way" attitude put out by so many DIR types.

I understand that and it's a totally valid point, but I don't see how you are getting that from the world-class comment.

If you take Fundamentals from JJ, you are taking it from a guy that holds the world record for penetration in a cave. Other instructors have dove the Britannic...and the list goes on and on.

I agree...the "internet-DIR" attitude totally sucks. You're preaching to the choir on that one. But GUE does have some great, some world-class instructors. Do other agencies have them as well? I'm sure they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom