Why (or why not) should a snorkel be donned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes we are talking about the same thing.

Snorkel rescue breathing...in the event of conditions where you cannot perform a proper mouth - mouth or use a pocket mask. ( rough waters ) A snorkel can be used to perform rescue breaths.

Same move.

I have a pocket mask. ANd a rolled up snorkel in my right thigh pocket. Depending on the type of dive I am doing.

Thalassamania:
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. What I’m referring to is a technique where by you wrap the “J” of the snorkel around the outside of you hand and put the mouthpiece between two fingers. You then position yourself behind the victim and insert the snorkel in the victim’s mouth sealing it with your and keeping your thumb and pointer finger free to pinch the victim’s nose closed. Then, while holding on to the victim with your other hand and fining backward you use the open end of the snorkel to provide breaths. Are we on the same page?

While a pocket mask provides you with protection, it is not quite the same trasport aid that the snorkel is. We did one try swimming and bagging, it works but where do you carry the [SIZE=-1]bag-valve-mask[/SIZE]?

You do a breath through the opening where you would attach a vent-bag. It is the .....wrap your lips around it and blow..:wink:

Thalassamania:
While a pocket mask provides you with protection, it is not quite the same trasport aid that the snorkel is. We did one try swimming and bagging, it works but where do you carry the [SIZE=-1]bag-valve-mask[/SIZE]?

recently, I did a shore dive. to save air, I snorkeled out to where I was to begin the dive. this was the first time I had my snorkel on since maybe 2 dives after OW training.
1- the snorkel causes my mask to leak, at least in my opinion it does. 2- it is in the way and a potential hazard.- reaching for my inflator/deflator hose, I constantly grabbed the freaking snorkel and had to look down to find what I was looking for. to make matters worse, I had a light on a retractor attached to the D-ring on my left side and that made grabbing the right thing even more difficult - I later moved the light.
HOWEVER, often on the surface I wish I had a snorkel when bobbing in the swells waiting for the boat or to get on the boat. I think about those fold up snorkels but wonder how do they stand up above the water when in use? Do you have to attach them to your mask as one would a regular snorkel? If so, that would be so much of a problem that I would rather skip it.
Anyway, as it pertains to this thread, I pretty much never carry my snorkel on dives, but keep it in my bag on the boat.

You know whats cool about a snorkel? If you don't want to use it, you can leave it off. If you use one, bring it with you. That's all the debate necessary. You aren;t discussing whether or not you need a BC. You aren't curing world hunger here. And if you make judgements about a person based on whether or not they wear a snorkel, then you have bigger issues. Just my 2 psi.

scarefaceDM:
You do a breath through the opening where you would attach a vent-bag. It is the .....wrap your lips around it and blow..:wink:
Yes, but the transport is slower with a pocket mask when compared to a snorkel.

The NAUI Rescue class I had covered mouth-to-snorkel-to-mouth breathing, but we also noted that it wouldn't work with a single one of our snorkels.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me where to find a valveless snorkel that I can carry in a pocket? I really hate my valved snorkel, as the only way to clear it completely is to reach up, cover the top with a thumb, and blow the water out the purge valve. If I try to just give a nice, normal (or even extra-forceful) blast clear, it always end up with water in the purge elbow (i.e. choke puddle).

We never use a snorkel in caverns or caves,but did bring em along on our last boat dive,and put em back in our bag when noone else used theirs.

Again it depends on the conditions...but yes it can be slower. If I have a choice would not tank pull, but side drag as I can keep my eyes on the victime and the direction I am going if I am alone. Makes for a slower transport but you keep better control of the emergency.

Conditons will dictate actions...

Thalassamania:
Yes, but the transport is slower with a pocket mask when compared to a snorkel.

Back
Top Bottom