Why Spearfishing is an advanced Activity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At approximately 1:00, what is the long "shadowy fish" in the distance?

That is a cuda. They are more common in our area in the winter.

I'd like to see the version with audio, haha!

Somewhere along the line hunting has become some sort of a taboo to many.
My only taboo on UW hunting is that I'm not (as in never, ever) buddying up with someone carrying a speargun. Sling? Fine, no prob. Done it a lot of times. Speargun? You go without me, thank you very much.

I love sea food and I'm an avid hunter myself. I see nothing wrong with it.
Me neither, as long as two fundamental premises are valid:

1. That it's sustainable and doesn't impose unreasonable limitations on other users of the same nature.
  2. That it causes less animal suffering than commercial fishing or farming.

Hunting and killing beautiful fish with rubber propelled spears is fun, rewarding and environmentally responsible, even if certain fish are killed and left to rot on the bottom.

Government agencies and many dive operators are actively promoting this activity and teaching how to do it. A huge change from just 5-8 years ago.

Off course, most of this new effort is directed toward lionfish, but still... it is interesting to me so see how spearfishing is now perfectly accepted and we hear no complaints about cruelty or blood lust on the part of the hunters. For years, many people felt a diver was evil and cruel and deranged if they sought to spear and kill a fish just so they can eat it, but killing fish to "help the environment" is now actively promoted. I guess it is a good change.

Conventional wisdom (the collective biases of my forefathers) can be so inconvenient at times like this. One is pushed to independent thought...

The wanton killing of Cownose rays in my own backyard sickens me, yet I love to hear the latest lionfish stats. All the lionfish are eaten, aren't they?

Conventional wisdom (the collective biases of my forefathers) can be so inconvenient at times like this. One is pushed to independent thought...

The wanton killing of Cownose rays in my own backyard sickens me, yet I love to hear the latest lionfish stats. All the lionfish are eaten, aren't they?

Nope. The majority are eaten, but quite a few get left dead on the bottom. The thought process is that it will teach local predators that Lionfish are a food source. I don't think it's working.

So when's the swearing like a sailor edit coming out? :D
That's like half of the entertainment there!

Bahaha - I initially thought you stoned him before he re-animated. You didn't miss the sweet spot by much though. Kinda makes me glad now, looking back, that my 60+ lb Cobia got off and all I got from it was a bent spear shaft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom