Why taking Rescue Diver was worth every penny...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great story - awesome reminder to aways be learning and getting better. As TS&M mentioned, that's why I also go snorkel free. At worst something that what happened to you happens, at best, it's a PITA. I'm still sticking w/ my Octo-Z though!

Glad this happened under controlled conditions!

Also reminds me (and reinforces that I should) take Rescue this summer.

What a well written post Phineas Gage; my wife was wondering why I was laughing just now. Good humor requires an element of truth and I can imagine being in the same situation in the not so distant past. Presently I use an Aqualung ABS which is a great octopus and use it like I'm drawing a gun in the wild west. Last weekend I asked my dive buddy to rip my primary from my mouth in a pool practice session, so I could practice finding and using my back-up reg. A NAUI course director told me that he had had his reg ripped from his mouth three times and I've had a bee in my bonnet about that ever since. Am now considering long hose on primary and back-up reg. around my neck, but I'm sooo fast with my ABS.

Rescue diver class SHOULD be required!!!! Cut and dry!!

Rescue Required and snorkels NOT!!

I understand there is disscussion through PADI About removeing the snorkel requirement?

Great story buddy and great learning for you!!

Ya know snorkels are kinda nice doing surf entries/exits. Other than that i really agree with what TS&M said about how valuable the experience of getting through a minor... or major... "event" will be down the road.

I have seen numerous divers take AOW after only few OW dives, and others attempt RESCUE without much experience. I don't know how experienced Phineas Gage is, but I believe that if you are experienced, are comfortable with your equipment, then you have a lesser chance of errors, even on a stressful situation. I was grateful to have that experience when i did my rescue course. Many maneuvers that were intuitive to me, were a hardship to the other students.

I have seen numerous divers take AOW after only few OW dives, and others attempt RESCUE without much experience. I don't know how experienced Phineas Gage is, but I believe that if you are experienced, are comfortable with your equipment, then you have a lesser chance of errors, even on a stressful situation. I was grateful to have that experience when i did my rescue course. Many maneuvers that were intuitive to me, were a hardship to the other students.

I agree and that is why the switch to long hose, while maybe safer in the long run, is giving me pause for thought. BTW NAUI teaches RESCUE from the start; it's one reason I switched agencies.

Snorkel is always with me. Folded up in a pocket where it belongs unless I'm on the surface. On your back you can't use one efficiently and if I'm on my stomach it's just as easy to keep the reg in. I bought a dry snorkel when I first started cause it was "cool". Would keep me from swallowing water if the waves were up. Guess what. Reg works better! What happens if the waves are really up and I need to breath when the snorkel is closed?

Good story thanks for sharing. I'm planning to take rescue this summer, and it's the first course I'm actually nervous about...

DivingPrincessE, dont stress over the rescue training. Its serious FUN.... As always in scubadiving, its STOP, THINK and ACT... I had a blast doing my rescue in open water not pool.... Had a serious instructor but fun.... So do it with an instructor you are comfortable with....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom