Why train as a DiveMaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow $2K! Even the shop I did it through (counting books etc) was less than $600. If you want to become a better diver, simply get into a tech course. You learn what to do if you go into deco, how to shoot bags, most instructors will help you with your bouyancy, etc, etc. Just because you know how to plan a deco dive doesn't mean you have to do a deco every time.....or ever...its up to you. For me, being a DM allows me to do my wreck diving for free, or rather, at less of a loss. The whole of the liabilty issues comes into play as a pro too. Get a copy of Law and the Diving Professional, it is worth the read.
-J

My LDS told me it was roughly $1400 for course and materials, then I added in about $600 for all the motel stays I would have to have. Still, way more than your $600. Maybe I'll come to your LDS :wink: But seriously, as has been mentioned, if all one wants is to improve their diving skills, there are better routes then the DM/DiveCon one.

Wow $2K! Even the shop I did it through (counting books etc) was less than $600. ...

DM- Dive Mule as we refer to it. When I worked with an instructor, it was lump tanks, watch students, set up his gear, lump it to the water (he weighed 427 pounds, so you can imagine the lead needed....) All this, and I was offered free fills.
-J

This is something I will probably have a personal problem with. I have done manual labor by personal choice and I have done manual labor for pay but paying someone so I can do manual labor for them seems demented, sadistic, and just plain wrong. Accepting employment to do manual labor is another thing all together. Taking advantage of people never has gone over big with me. If I focus on my goal of helping others see the beautiful underwater world I suppose helping a few fat lazy ass instructors carry their load could be seen as exercise I need. I have overcome much larger problems than a day of manual labor.

Great reply. Precisely what my negative side was thinking. All that aside, I do feel I have significant knowledge and skills to offer. I will likely give it a whirl, but only for the purpose of helping others in a position I was once in. Thankyou for your perspective.

I wasn't saying there might not be some positives to it, especially if you intend to be an instructor or somehow make a non-living in this industry or enjoy working with people.

N

If you work as a dm in a tropical dive resort area....Caribbean or SE Asia (Philippines, Thailand etc) you don't make much money but you live a pretty good life style. I can't see much reason to put in the effort to be a dm in the midwest or somewhere to do the "mule work" just to dive quarries for free air.

Here's my story:

Several years ago, I decided that I wanted to become a dive master. To be honest, part of the reason was to try to get some “free” dive trips but I also wanted to prepare for a fun job to do after an eventual early retirement from my office job. The plan, in the not-to-distant future, was to get out from behind the desk as soon as my son graduated from university.

The physical tests, drills and internship of the dive master program were fairly tough but not extremely difficult. The classroom lessons took a lot of studying but, again, the work was manageable. The problem was that also working a very busy full-time job during the week. Also, I am so competitive that I hate it when anyone else in the class does better than me on a test or a drill. Therefore I was working twice as hard as I might have needed to work. After one arduous week, everything seemed to be getting tougher – then the light bulb went off in my head. Here is my story about that epiphany which I wrote at the time:

It’s 8:30 on Monday morning and I’m riding the lift up to my office. I’m damned tired and I’m not looking forward to the week. Last week, I was really busy at work but I still had to do the pool sessions on Wednesday and Thursday nights until 10:00pm to help Open Water students practice their drills. When I got home on Thursday night, I had to pack for a dive trip to Tioman on a live-aboard out of Mersing. As part of my dive master training, I, of course, had to lug gear all around and help both students and advanced divers as well as the boat boys with all kinds of things that would have worn me out even 20 years ago. As I got on the lift on that Monday morning, I was thinking to myself that, at 45, I may just be too old to be a dive master student.

There are five other people on the lift. The two going to the 32nd floor are obviously colleagues of each other and the remaining three, who are going up to the 41st floor, must also work together. They are all asking each other what they did over the weekend. The first woman admits that she and her husband “did nothing” all weekend. Her colleague says he watched the Arsenal / Chelsea match on TV. Another guy says he just slept late into the afternoon on both days. One person did some window shopping while the last person actually said “I just read the newspapers”.

What did I do over the weekend? I had a lot of fun. I also helped eleven people have a very enjoyable diving weekend. I helped one woman regain some confidence on her first dives after recovering from a bad decompression injury. I led another diver, on her last dive trip in Asia, to her first sightings of sharks (three at Renggis!) and a turtle (in fact, we saw five including one small Hawksbill with the tail of a fish still sticking out of his mouth at breakfast time). I helped educate some divers about the egg laying habits of cuttlefish.. I also helped make sure all the divers were safe and that they made it back to Singapore so they could tell exaggerated stories to their friends about the size of the sharks that we saw.
I also helped get some very apprehensive students to relax at 12 meters on their first open water dive. I helped make sure they were doing their drills properly so they could gain the confidence to dive. I gave advice to a newly certified diver on how she can make the most of her upcoming trip to the Maldives. I advised students on what equipment they each might need to buy first and how to make sure they were getting their money’s worth.

Suddenly, I started feeling a hell of a lot better on the lift. I remember the exuberance of the happy chatter I heard upon surfacing after one really great dive. I remember the awe I saw in the eyes of the students when they saw a “rock” swim away and change colors and texture (actually, it was a very well camouflaged cuttlefish). I remember the joy on everyone’s face when the last student hit bottom after 20 minutes of battling ear problems. I’m not so tired anymore. I’m now looking forward to the week because I have another pool session this week. I can’t wait.

What has happened since that elevator ride? I did manage to pass the dive master class and I have since worked one or two weekends every month since then on dive trips to Malaysia. I also earned my Instructor’s card too. I still get goose bumps when I see the reaction of new divers after they see their first turtle, shark or even batfish. I also led a group of divers to the Maldives for a week. My goose bumps were considerably larger after seeing the reaction of seasoned divers seeing their first mantas (twenty at one cleaning station), whale sharks, octopi, dolphins, schools of eagle rays, intimately close encounters with Napoleon Wrasses, etc.

I feel that I have helped educate hundreds of divers about marine life as well as helping improve their diving skills. I have also helped ensure that they have had safe and enjoyable dive trips. Hopefully, that can be partially attributed to identifying risks and dealing with them before they are accidents although I know that luck is also part of the equation too.

I have greatly improved my own diving skills but that is not really something that they teach in the dive master course. I have improved by being constantly reminded that several divers are watching almost every move I make and they will likely try to imitate me. For example, I once knocked a crown-of-thorns off the reef with my pointer. During the next dive, another diver who had earlier seen me do this tried to move a different crown-of-thorns – bare-handed! Needless to say, I learned my lesson then that I better be doing everything by the book.

So, do I still enjoy the work? Without a doubt. It’s the best job in the world. I can’t wait to do it full-time. Is it for you? Maybe. If you want to do it just because you love diving as much as I do, save your money, don’t take the course and dive more often. If you really get a kick out of serving, educating and protecting fellow divers, being a dive master can’t be beat. You can tell by the smile on my face after every dive.

I'm currently a DMC and have been working with quite a few instructors even before I began to take my DM course and not once have I had to do anything I wouldn't normally do for my dive buddy. If I want to get home quickly I'll pick up his tanks and pack the car we drove while he talks to the students. No slave labor for me thank you very much!

I don't consider filling tanks in an air-conditioned room while talking to divers hard labor. It may be mindless, but not difficult! This shop doesn't even hire DM's to work the store... I do it while I'm there to help out the guy filling the tanks.

Working the boat it's a different story, while the DM does the bulk of the work, all members of this dive shop work as a team (including the instructors), but the DM gets the tips. Other operations are not as helpful. Again it depends who you work for.

You can look at it as paying to do manual labor, I look at it as an opportunity to learn from boat captains, instructors & DMs who all have something to share with you. And while I don't think I'll be working the boat because of my main job and family schedule doesn't allow it on a regular basis, it's great way to meet other divers who want your services and advice.

As far as becoming a better diver, well a rescue course will teach you a lot and tech classes much more than that, but working OW classes will test how YOU react to an emergency. No class can simulate a real life panic diver bolting for the surface (Happened to me assisting my first OW class) Does that make you a better diver? Probably not, but I can tell you that before this class, I would not dive with just anyone and after handling a few real emergencies and leading total strangers I have more confidence in my skills and my ability to cope with the unexpected.

I don't think it's for everyone, I wouldn't do it for a living. But I do enjoy helping divers and there are a lot of rewards if you enjoy that! Leading a group of divers for the first time on a new site that you know very well or having a stranger ask you how to overcome a challenge and seeing them succeed is very rewarding. Can you do that w/o becoming a DM? Sure, but most people ask someone they are diving with or the dive leader. Even the occasional tech diver on a recreational boat appreciates help with heavy gear. Just yesterday we had a guy diving a rebreather and a scooter, he was the best tipper on the boat!

The cost of the course including materials was $800 and honestly I don't know how they do it. I've been diving 4 times a day, twice a week for the last few months. Usually a class in the morning trip(2 dives) and a tour or refresher on the afternoon trip. Just the boat rides alone would be more than what I paid at $60 a pop! Not to mention free nitrox and getting my gear serviced, tanks VIP'd, etc. And that's not just me, because I'm taking the class, but every one who works for them. You do the math!

Now it's not all peaches and cream, I do drive 40 miles one way to work with them, but for me it's been money well spent

Research the shop, dive with them a few times and see how they handle things. Get to now the DM's and ask how it really is to work there.
Finally, figure out what your reason is for taking the course and then make a decision based on that.

I hope this helps you.
Wiz

I found completing a good DM program to be very useful in terms of skill and knowledge development. I was active as a DM for a couple of years and enjoyed being involved with classes. I never had any interest in going onto the o/w instructor rating. I am now for all practical purposes retired from DMing and now enjoy both sport and technical diving,,,but the DM training and exposure it offered me was a real plus.

I don't consider filling tanks in an air-conditioned room while talking to divers hard labor. It may be mindless, but not difficult!

You're lucky to have a place like that. Try a typical internship in asia, the med and so on. Filling tanks on the 3am to 5am shift in a boiling hot, poorly ventilated shed knowing you have to be back in work for 8.30 to start try dives. Its not as much fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom