Why would anyone want a 20+ year old dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like this old Orca Edge? Looking for the reason I thought I needed it....To classic to pass up...:cool2:

View attachment 131306

AKA "the Brick" due to its size and weight - it is still a good air computer as the tables haven't changed all that much and I know one diver who still dives his.

My buddy still dives his Orca Edge, says "why should I buy a new one I can't read".

Yes, he does get looks from the DM's when he sets up, but I think it's envy.

He bought it new and has been using it ever since. It uses the old navy dive tables that went to group N, 60 ft/min ascent rate, no safety stop, and no Nitrox settings. So while I have to use cheaters to see some of the functions of my computer, listen to the the computer get PO'ed because of my ascent rate, and get the safety stop countdown, he just dives the way we learned back in the day.

And you can take weight off your belt when you use it.

Bob
----------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
There's an article about Karl Huggins, co-creator of the Edge, here on SB.

Must admit my oldest dive computer is the Orca Skinny Dipper and I don't use it any more.

Must admit my oldest dive computer is the Orca Skinny Dipper and I don't use it any more.

Well, I still have my Orca Skinny Dipper as well.

DH also has his horse collar and stainless steel Aqualung Aquarius reg.

All in good working order - anyone want to make me an offer???

Anyone want to make me an offer?

We still have a couple of Uwatec Aladin Pro computers from 1991 that we still use. Good as back up computers when overseas, attach to our BCDs and they can be used if our newer computers fail. Easy to replace the battery, cheap and still use same algorithm as many new computers.

We still have a couple of Uwatec Aladin Pro computers from 1991 that we still use. Good as back up computers when overseas, attach to our BCDs and they can be used if our newer computers fail. Easy to replace the battery, cheap and still use same algorithm as many new computers.

Indeed, the old Aladin Pro's by Uwatec were bulletproof. I once found one underwater, it had been running as a dive for days I think, brought it up and it beeped in my dive bag for a few more days, but it eventually sorted itself out and I dived it for ages afterwards. I cant remember what happened to it, I probably gave it away but, Yeah, they were tough dependable units indeed.

---------- Post Merged at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:28 PM ----------

There's an article about Karl Huggins, co-creator of the Edge, here on SB.

Yes, the Skinny dipper followed the Orca Marathon (or was it vice versa - cant remember now) also remember it well, it could be used for repetitive dives, but was one of the first units you could use as a single dive unit, (ie) do a dive then erase the memory and someone else could dive with it.

A very innovative company back then.

My 1993 Suunto Eon still performs brillantly . I am glad I kept it as it has saved more than a few dives when newer dive computers failed me . I think some of the best gear was built in the early 90's .

My 1993 Suunto Eon still performs brillantly . I am glad I kept it as it has saved more than a few dives when newer dive computers failed me . I think some of the best gear was built in the early 90's .

Indeed, I agree with you.

I still dive my Aladin Pro from 02/1990.

I may replace it one day, but so far, the only valid reason I see is one single great dive site at 35M/115Ft in the Maldives where the idiotic no-deco law limits the bottom time to 5 min. on air, whereas the Nitrox guys get a full 8 min.!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom