Wildlife habitat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://magazine.audubon.org/seafood/guide/

Is the web site for what fish are __better__ to eat if you are concerned about commercial over fishing. The following is copied from the Audubon Guide to Seafood. Follow the link above for the actual list:

What's a Fish Lover to Eat?
The Audubon Guide to Seafood
published May-June 1998 ~ for fall 2000 update, click here
Before slapping a swordfish steak on the barbecue grill this summer, you might hear out a group of the nation's preeminent chefs. Earlier this year, they gathered at a New York City restaurant to announce their participation in a nationwide campaign to "give swordfish a break" by striking it from their menus. The chefs fear that unless swordfish are protected now, there won't be enough of them around to serve in the future.
Many other fish need a break, too. So what's a fish lover to eat? The good news is that there are plenty of alternatives to swordfish and other depleted species. Some fish, such as striped bass, are on their way to recovery. Even better are certain farm-raised fish. Tilapia, for instance, are raised in enclosed tanks on land, where water pollution can be controlled and fish don't escape. (Escaped fish can cause problems for wild fish, including disease.)

The following guide will help you make informed choices. It was compiled by Carl Safina, Ph.D., director of the National Audubon Society's Living Oceans Program, author of the recently published Song for the Blue Ocean, and a contributing editor to Audubon magazine. He drew on research from a variety of sources, from governmental agencies to environmental groups, as well as years of personal experience on the front lines of fisheries management.

The guide's color spectrum reflects the state of the fish, roughly in order from red (most problematic) to green (least problematic). Two or three problems (i.e., overfishing or poor management) put a fish into the red category. Significant concern about a single factor puts it in the yellow category. Abundant, relatively well-managed species rate the green category.

In the "status" column, means the population is low; is fairly stable; is high. In the "management" column, means regulation is good; , fair; , poor. In the "bycatch & habitat concerns" column, means the fishery has a low impact on other species; , moderate; , high.

A century ago, meat markets in American cities regularly offered buffaloes, cranes, and other wildlife. Today marine creatures are the last wildlife commercially hunted on a large scale. It's worth pondering the ripple effect that consumption of seafood creates in the ocean. And the next time you have a hankering for fish, try selecting your meal from a properly managed fishery.

Note: This guide originally appeared in the May-June 1998 issue of Audubon magazine. You can subscribe on-line.

You don't have to outsmart a deer, but you do have to come up with a way to kill it. Ahem, the invention of the gun. See, what I was saying was that people make things like knives, spears, guns, etc. when they "need" to kill something, we do not have claws, big teeth or massive speed that we run something down, and take it out paw to paw.

Man from the beginning used whatever was at hand, a rock, a stick etc. Shoot, when I was in the third grade I kilt a grizzly bar with my loose leaf note book on my way to school in the snow barefooted, tanned the hide right there and made me a coat and some boots, and wasn't even late for school.

ID

I used to chop down a Kauri tree with my berrr hands,
and I'd plow those fields with my fingernails.
And when I got hot I went for a swim.......to the South Pole.That's where I met Gwen...Pengwen! The only bird that I never taught to fly! When I got cold,I put on a singlet....blah blah blah....

ID, Gman.... what can I say? Can't stop laughing... I'm gonna sue for injury to my internal organs!

seriously tho, anyone who thinks that just about any type of hunting is easy has been spending too much time watching TV and not enough time trying to walk through the woods quietly while constantly reading the wind direction. Spearfishing and lobster grabbing ain't necessarily easy either. As for hunting, for me it really is the thrill of the chase. I hate to see those calico bass thrash about on the end of my spear tip, but sneaking up on them through the kelp or from behind rocks, going shallow so the sound of the waves crashing just overhead will mask some of the noise i'm making, getting a good clean shot, just behind the eyes or gill covers (not too high, not too low) and eatin' em later in the week....now that is preferable to buying fillets at the local grocery store any day! And yes, i could buy my meat and fish a helluva lot cheaper at the store than paying $80-230 for a day or two of diving off a local liveaboard or freezing my butt off up in the mountains above L.A. or Upper Peninsula Michigan. I don't apologize to anyone for hunting. Those who don't like it can walk the walk and become a vegan.

I'm particularly moved by the picture of the hunters of the dangerous prey..."The Wild Giant carrot".The tribe would celebrate,carrying their slain Carrot aloft,chanting victoriously of their valour....(pausing thoughtfully and respectfully for those who would return no more to hunt again).Unfortunately,there is little record of these brave tribes....their low blood iron content buggered their chances in winter.Only stories and legends remain....
They just seemed to waste away into history........
The one and only historian,
The Gasman.....
(We shall remember them....everytime we eat a beef and carrot stew..Amen)

That's what I love about this board. The thread didn't stop just 'cause buff went to Bonaire.

The thread lives! Long Live the Scuba Board!

Laura

Can anyone guess what I love to do??????

I go bear hunting twice a year! Sometimes 3 times a year!

The amount of money that sportsmen and women put into the Fish and games budgets out weighs any voting that peta, treehuggers,anti hunters...etc etc etc, will ever put in!

To reply to the person who said that hunting is easy...go with me some time...all you get is what you can carry on your back, you have to walk 8 to 12 miles a day in the Idaho side of the rockies. Oh yea I forgot....I hunt 30 miles into the wilderness. So dont look for any of your luxaries that you are use too.

I love to lobster hunt too...its a real chalenge to get an animal when your are on their ground not yours! Kinda like killing a bear from 30 feet away in the mountians with a bow!

anyway...If we should put more restrictions on anything let it be the comercial fishers...who know's.....I would want someone telling me how I can make a living or that I cannot make a living anymore

Back
Top Bottom