Will 7.25 bands fit my 7 inch fabers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benthos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have pair of faber lp 85 that are 7 inches in dia. Can't find 7 inch bands. Some market 6.9-7.5. On the dive rite but I remember them being made by HM specificly in 7 7.25 and 8. I use thermo manifolds. Will the 7.5 fit the fabers?

7.25 inch Highland bands (and maybe others) will fit 6.9 and 7" tanks with many barrel oring mainfolds. Surprisingly the smaller tanks end up a few millimeters further part since the bands tend to wrap a wee bit further around and the flat section pushes the tanks apart a little. Make sure you have ~8 threads engaged on both side of the manifolds isolator and you will be fine.

(I found this out after a local shop assembled my doubles with the wrong bands, worked fine for a year. I discovered the error when I VIPed them and have since found 6.9" bands for those tanks and use the 7.25" bands on different tanks)

No. Tank bands need to encircle the cylinder with an exact measurement. For 7" cylinders you need 7" bands. The Faber 85s are 7.0" diameter. The 7.25" bands will be too big.

In some instances with some thin bands (1.5" wide ) you can squeeze them tighter to make up for the extra material but they never hold the tanks secure enough. Best to have the proper size bands.

We stock 7" bands all the time and you can order them at this LINK.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers

Make sure they really are 7" tanks. Many times 7.25" tanks are just called 7" tanks. Most of the 7" tanks made by Faber are 7.24" diameter.

Make sure they really are 7" tanks. Many times 7.25" tanks are just called 7" tanks. Most of the 7" tanks made by Faber are 7.24" diameter.

I own three sets of Faber LP85s and I can confirm they are 7.00" in diameter (and 22" in circumference).

I tried wrapping 7.25" bands around LP72s and found it did not work at all. Theoretically longer bands would actually hold the tank more securely because you're contacting more of the tank, but in reality the center plates end up so close together that A) the bolts are WAY too long and B) there's not as much stability from plate to plate, they can twist a little more easily. Another problem is that you are essentially re-bending the bands and they don't bend easily. It's also true that the tanks end up further apart, but then again the centers are a little closer to the edges of the thinner tanks, so that's probably a wash.

.25" of diameter translates to more than .75" of circumference, so the bands are substantially different in size.

Piranha has good, reasonably priced 7" bands, and their customer service is excellent.

I own three sets of Faber LP85s and I can confirm they are 7.00" in diameter (and 22" in circumference).
Hi Brian,

You are right that most Faber LP-85s are 7" (7.01") but Faber also makes 7.24" diameter x 24.8" long, 24.9lb. LP-85s.

Back
Top Bottom