Will I be happy in Roatan in Feb? Rainy? Chilly? I'll be in the West End....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, anything round-trip from Canada's West Coast to Roatan that can be had for less than $1000 (fees & taxes included) is a good deal. I booked with American Airlines for travel in March 2014 at a r/t (YYJ - RTB) price of $996. I usually set a travel budget and then once I find a price I'm happy paying I'll snag the tickets and not worry too much about subsequent price changes. My itinerrary goes: YYJ - SEA - MIA - RTB (and back). Travel time there is 8.5hrs flight time + 13hrs lay-over = 21 hours. Makes for a long day, but it is soon forgotten about once the gear gets unpacked at the dive-op.

i see the poster is from wisconsin.
i travel between o'hare and roatan/utila 5-6 times a year. i've never paid more than $440 rt to san pedro sula or $650 rt to roatan, be it march, april, december or any other month. you need to wait several months before you even think of buying a ticket. if you wait you will get the prices i've quoted above.

did talk more with an agent and she found one for $677. Might grab it...so undecided.
I hope that is not an overnight plan. :eek: Everyone is telling you to wait, but ok. If you answered questions and gave info, we could offer more, but have fun. :pilot:

Yep, coming and going. Matrix points to AA and those flights have 10-12 hour layovers both ways.

:rofl3:
Maybe, if he is flying out of Milwaukee and in March? If so, also two plane changes each way - sucks! I always try to uncheck the overnight option, as well as try for one plane change - which boosts the fares by $100-200 RT, but worth it!

He doesn't seem to want to say, which is his call.

Wait to buy. There are plenty of flights in and out that finding one should not be a problem. I would never buy a ticket more than maybe a month in advance, to anywhere.

I hope that is not an overnight plan. :eek: Everyone is telling you to wait, but ok. If you answered questions and gave info, we could offer more, but have fun. :pilot:

I'm waiting....for real this time. I havent been on a diving trip in almost a decade...can finally afford it and am just itching to get there...I've read everything and despite my annoying tendency to keep asking questions and change my mind....I have decided to wait. Thank you! :)

---------- Post added May 30th, 2013 at 10:53 PM ----------

I still think you need better help shopping. What days of the week would you like to travel, and from where exactly? April looks cheaper, May 2014 is not available yet, but booking so far in advance will lead to problems as suggested.

I'm sorry, I didn't see that question. Feb is out of the picture now which buys me more time to get some extra $$....I've been trying to plan the flight around the week of the full moon, leave thurs come back sunday....but since it's too far away now I will figure it out in a few months. :) May 15-26th would be perfect cuz the 26th is Memorial Day...extra day on the island plus a free vacation day. :)

---------- Post added May 30th, 2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

The owner of Chillies told me that March-May fills up around October....so....I don't think a month before I leave is a good idea unless I book the room and hope those dates are available....???
Wait to buy. There are plenty of flights in and out that finding one should not be a problem. I would never buy a ticket more than maybe a month in advance, to anywhere.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2013 at 10:57 PM ----------

i see the poster is from wisconsin.
i've never paid more than $440 rt to san pedro sula or $650 rt to roatan, be it march, april, december or any other month. .
If San Pedro is that much cheaper it's worth the ferry ride...I'd say! I'll check that out when the time comes.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2013 at 10:58 PM ----------

no, it wasn't an overnight flight....no way i would waste two days of my precious week in an airport! :)

Remember, cheapest flights are on Saturday and keep an eye on Chicago. A special may come along that could make it worth the drive down.

Remember, cheapest flights are on Saturday and keep an eye on Chicago. A special may come along that could make it worth the drive down.
You know, that Saturday-cheapest rule doesn't always hold up. It often doesn't really. I just use Matrix to lay out fares for the whole month, for 5 to 9 nights, and compare. Chicago is indeed an option, but I don't know where he is in Wisconsin exactly.

Back
Top Bottom