Will my EPIRB actually work in the Komodo National Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abreeze

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are thinking of purchasing the McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB w/ GPS for our upcomming liveaboard trip to the Komodo area this October.
Since I know that the currents there can be quite crazy, I was hoping that this PLB would give us some piece of mind.

Now I know that the unit will be able to send a signal to satellites, but my questions are;
1) Is there any system or organization set up in Indonesia that would be able to respond to such an emergency signal? I know that they are not going to have something similar to our Coast Guard, but does anyone know what type of response would be realistic in such a remote area?
2) Is this PLB the best sort of device to use, or is there another different type of system or set up out there that would be better?

By the way, we also will also be carrying signal mirrors, strobes, safty sausages, dive alert air horns, and dye markers. I know, it seems like a lot, but there is a lot of ocean right past those small little islands.

Thanks everyone in advance for any advice or experience you can throw my way.

Mark

From what i understand this device will send information to COSPAS-SARSAT (Search and Rescue Satellite) system. So actually they will be in charge to contact local rescue... you should contact them and ask them if they can organise rescue in remote indonesia area, do they have the contact detail and plan already ready ? you still need to put the device inside a water proof box , for example i use a old toch to put a hand phone inside when i dive strong current location but in komodo hand phone signal is not available everywhere. let me know if you find out some more information, i m also interested in such device for our guests ( i m diving Alor and it is very similar conditon ) .

I would also be interested in what you find out. We may be going to Komodo in August/September and I believe in plan ahead and be SAFE!!!!

i don't know why the liveaboards around the area don't offer gps tracking for the divers, its happened before and i'm sure it will happen again. i would have felt much better if it was availible, i'd certainly pay extra for it..

everytime i did a safety stop in the blue or got taken away by current the boat boy in the zodiac was never far away though.

Back
Top Bottom