Will your Dive Shop be Prepared for Hurricane Felicia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Aloha Ohana,

Please be advised that Hurricane Felicia, presently a Category 4 Hurricane, is headed our direction and could make landfall as soon as Monday or Tuesday here in the eastern Hawaiian region. Of course, it's too soon to tell and anything could happen. She could fizzle out or miss us entirely. However, I would suggest watching this storm closely for the next few days to see what is developing. I have been through a Cat 5 Hurricane - Hurricane Hugo St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, 1989 and have seen firsthand what these storms can do. Believe me, it's not pretty and the aftermath is almost worse than the storm itself.

To keep this topic in accordance with TOS, I'd like to focus on how this storm will affect SCUBA Diving in Hawaii.

I'd like to know "How are the dive shops preparing for this storm?"

What are you doing with your boats?

Are you advising your clients at this point?

What will you do if the storm is a direct hit and we have no diving for weeks afterwards?

Have you been through a major hurricane before?

Do you have storm insurance for loss of business? (Is that even available?)

I am interested in the potential changes in our reef systems and would certainly advise taking some "Before Felicia" pictures in the next couple of days in case we have to take "after Felicia" pics next Tuesday! (This includes Topside views as well) This was an unreal visual record for me when I went through Hugo. Our dive shop was literally wiped right off the foundation and swept into the sea. There was a stain on the cement from where it had been for at least 10 years before. One of our boats was stripped off it's mooring and washed aground and had to be cut into little pieces with torches after it was smashed beyond repair. It was almost unrecognizable!!

I'm not trying to scare anyone nor am I crying that the sky is falling. But we only have a couple of days to see what happens. If the **** hits the fan you better not get in the way and you better be ready. Following the trajectory shown below makes me realize that if this storm does roll through where they say it will our diving on south Maui and Kona will be different (to say the very least) after next week. After Hugo there was no tourism and all of my diving consisted of recovering sunken boats. (We had a hundred times as many boats there as compared to Maui though....) It took us weeks to raise them and then months to sort through and dispose of them. It was dirty diving and no where near as fun as leading reef tours!

Prepare by doing the following:

Fuel up all your vehicles now so you can avoid the rush and potential gasoline shortage. Fill your propane tanks too. Round up your candles, buy more.

Stock up on water, dry food, canned food. Do not buy frozen food, we could be without electricity for several days or longer (Hurricane Hugo left me without power for over three months!!!!)

Fill your prescription medications now.

Cut back trees, dead limbs, bushes in and around your property so they will not break off and destroy other things.

Make sure you have batteries, flashlights, First Aid Kits, radio, bug repellent (the mosquitos can be fierce after a tropical storm!), rain gear, work gloves, shoes, chainsaws, and other tools to help with post storm clean-up.

Prepare to board up or tape windows; bring all outdoor furniture, yard stuff, toys, inside.

Have a plan on where to meet friends and family after storm is over. Cell phones, telephones may be unreliable.

Check on neighbors, elderly to see if they are prepared. Help if necessary.

Spread the word to help others be aware of the dangers and help them prepare for the worst.

As the storm gets closer the 'pre-panic' sets in and everyone will be scrambling to do all of this stuff at the last minute. Prepare ahead of time so you will be able to take care of you and your family and not waste precious time waiting in line at a store or gas station that is about to run out of everything!

Here's the most recent image I could get of the forecast tracking map:

203212W5_NL_sm.gif

I got this info from the NOAA site:

Discuss the type of hazards that could affect your family. Know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind.

Locate a safe room or the safest areas in your home for each hurricane hazard. In certain circumstances the safest areas may not be your home but within your community.

Determine escape routes from your home and places to meet. These should be measured in tens of miles rather than hundreds of miles.

Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact, so all your family members have a single point of contact.

Make a plan now for what to do with your pets if you need to evacuate.

Post emergency telephone numbers by your phones and make sure your children know how and when to call 911.

Check your insurance coverage - flood damage is not usually covered by homeowners insurance.

Stock non-perishable emergency supplies and a Disaster Supply Kit.

Use a NOAA weather radio. Remember to replace its battery every 6 months, as you do with your smoke detectors.

Take First Aid, CPR and disaster preparedness classes.

Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days

Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 days
— non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
— foods for infants or the elderly
— snack foods
— non-electric can opener
— cooking tools / fuel
— paper plates / plastic utensils

Blankets / Pillows, etc.

Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes

First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs

Special Items - for babies and the elderly

Toiletries / Hygiene items / Moisture wipes

Flashlight / Batteries

Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio

Telephones - Fully charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional (not cordless) telephone set

Cash (with some small bills) and Credit Cards - Banks and ATMs may not be available for extended periods

Keys

Toys, Books and Games

Important documents - in a waterproof container or watertight resealable plastic bag
— insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.

Tools - keep a set with you during the storm

Vehicle fuel tanks filled

Pet care items
— proper identification / immunization records / medications
— ample supply of food and water
— a carrier or cage
— muzzle and leash

I hope you all take heed. I hope the storm misses us. If so, consider this a practice run and count your blessings.

For more info click this link:

National Hurricane Preparedness Week

Last edited:
Felicia weakens to a category 2 hurricane
M. Ressler, Lead Meteorologist, The Weather Channel
Aug. 7, 2009 11:15 am ET
The tropics remain active across the Pacific.

Hurricane Felicia, which peaked on Thursday as a category 4 hurricane with winds of 140 mph, is rapidly weakening.

Felicia is located about 1280 miles of east of Hilo, Hawaii, while moving west-northwest. Maximum winds are now at 100 mph, making it a category 2 hurricane.

The forecast continues to indicate Felicia moving in a more westerly direction this weekend, which would bring a remnant of the storm near Hawaii by early next week.

Felicia is encountering a more hostile environment with drier air and shearing winds aloft. This is steadily weakening the system so when it passes over or south of the Big Island of Hawaii Monday into Tuesday Felicia will be a tropical depression at best.
================================

I agree with you 100% Doug, you can't be too prepared. I went through Cat 4 Typhoon Amy when I lived on Guam, the experience was unreal.

That's sounding good.....I'm windward so I'm guessing we'll get pretty wet..

Doug, appreciate you taking the time and effort to put together this summary. Thank You.

If the storm weakens to a Tropical Depression, how will that affect diving conditions?

Doug, appreciate you taking the time and effort to put together this summary. Thank You.

If the storm weakens to a Tropical Depression, how will that affect diving conditions?

I think the answer to that depends entirely on the track the storm takes, and the "closest point of approach" (CPA) to Hawaii. If it ends up swinging well clear with a longish CPA, then the leeward (leeward in relation to the storm that is) sides may be "ok"... but a Tropical Depression still packs enough wind and waves to blow-out the dive sites if it passes over or close to windward of them.

Best wishes.

Cool, looks like the tracking thing updated itself.

changed direction a bit and not coming over the top of the Big Island, but hitting Hilo head on. She is now a Cat 1 Storm....that's good news, still 90mph winds though...

I'm scheduled to do some boat diving from Kihei starting August 22nd or so -- I assume by then there shouldn't be any real impact from the storm?

Bet for this one moment, you are glad you are not on Maui. Even though it is probably going to be a tropical depression, it is not going to be pretty.

Back
Top Bottom