Wilmington Incident - 16 Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did the diver become separated from her gear? If so, did that separation occur on the surface or at depth or somewhere in between?

Sad to hear about two fatalities from experienced divers this weekend.
I'm also curious as to what the conditions at the site were like that day.

We were several miles away at the same depth and the conditions were not all that bad. Water temp was 76, vis was ok for tooth hunting (say 20-30 feet) and no significant current. Seas were crappy at the start of the day but cleared up as the day went on.

I know John and Amy. They are two great people and this is a Tragic loss to our community!

R.I.P. Amy!

John....I am so sorry for your loss, Amy was a vibrant amazing person, try to focus, Remember & Celebrate the bright spots in your time/life together and those you will have those Moments Forever!! That's one thing that no one can take them away from you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

From what I've ascertained both divers were serious tech divers. Such a tragedy for all involved.

Not a particularly important distinction to make at this point, but Amy was not a tech diver.

John, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I will miss Amy and I will stop in soon. As for this thread, let the speculation go and let the family be in peace at this time. This was a tragic loss of a loving person and friend to many. I ask that Scubaboard please close this thread.

J.H. Condon
NAUI IT 47172

About a year ago, Amy was headed down the highway towards Wilmington to start the "Tooth diving season" hauling gear for the crew and was caught in a tropical storm that was proceeding up the coast. A car ran off the road ahead of her and landed in a ditch with both parents and multiple small children. She was one of only two cars that stopped, and while many passed by just watching, Amy used a scuba tank to bust a window open and help drag the victims out. She did her best to perform cpr and did revive at least one child. She never talked of it again, but she was so upset that she couldnt do more.
We are all upset that we could not do more for her and surely she has earned her place in heaven. Please do not speculate about this accident, but include her in your prayers. She was a great women who asked for no praise and gave whatever she could.
Thanks,
CaptSteve

I ask that Scubaboard please close this thread.

J.H. Condon
NAUI IT 47172

This was indeed a tragic accident and I hope for all the best for her family but I'm not sure why you would want SB to close this thread. I was thinking that the "Accidents & Incidents" forum was to discuss this type of accident/incident and what may have happened so that others could learn from it and perhaps avoid a similar circumstance in the future.

This was indeed a tragic accident and I hope for all the best for her family but I'm not sure why you would want SB to close this thread. I was thinking that the "Accidents & Incidents" forum was to discuss this type of accident/incident and what may have happened so that others could learn from it and perhaps avoid a similar circumstance in the future.

I agree so long as the facts are not obscured by speculation/rumor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom