Win a PETREL 2 - Enter our Video Contest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they cut out the audio you lose a major component of the video's character...I hope they clarify this.

Try to imagine what would Star Wars be without its music...

I agree as audio is a big part of my videos, but everyone has different tastes in audio and videos might be edited for different purposes. For example, entertainment vs. selling a product.

They responded to my question about audio by referring the youtube copyright terms and conditions.

Have not seen any further information on why they need the actual video files.

Have not seen any further information on why they need the actual video files.

I'm guessing they want to be able to post the five finalists some where for final voting.

I'm guessing they want to be able to post the five finalists some where for final voting.

They could do that on youtube since all the entering videos are uploaded onto youtube.

Maybe I am being cynical. But I have seen video contests where people gave up ownership of their footage in exchange for entering the contest. Accusations were made that the purpose of the contest was not only publicity but also to get free footage for future marketing and advertising.

I think it's generally assumed in these types of contests that footage is often used for future marketing and advertising purposes. However, it needs to be explicitly stated in the rules. (Which is generally why I don't enter any of my photos in contests. I'd rather retain the rights for future licensing.)

I think it's generally assumed in these types of contests that footage is often used for future marketing and advertising purposes. However, it needs to be explicitly stated in the rules. (Which is generally why I don't enter any of my photos in contests. I'd rather retain the rights for future licensing.)

Contests need to have well-written rules... because NOTHING can be "generally assumed." And I don't mean photo contests specifically.

Based on what appears on the "rules" page, this contest is likely illegal in most US states. Depending on specific state laws it's an illegal lottery, an illegal game of chance, or violates other laws regulating sweepstakes and/or skills contests.

Contests can be a valuable marketing tool if structured correctly - from both a strategic and legal perspective. A company that decides to just "wing it" instead of engaging people with expertise to help them, they're asking for trouble.

Beyond the obvious bad PR among their target audience that will result from running a poorly structured contest, I hope Shearwater doesn't get themselves in any legal difficulties with this endeavor.

Contests need to have well-written rules... because NOTHING can be "generally assumed." And I don't mean photo contests specifically.

That's my point, because most of these contests want the rights to use for marketing, it's usually not worth reading the rules in the first place, it's a simple choice not to enter. I have better things to do with my time than to read all the rules for a contest I probably won't enter in the first place. I generally assume that it's part of the cost of entry, so I don't even bother. Have I probably missed out on some potentially decent prizes because I don't bother? Maybe. But I'm pretty protective of my IP, which is why I don't even post pictures here.

Generally assume was probably not the best choice of words, I admit.

Generally assume was probably not the best choice of words, I admit.

I wasn't jumping on your words, other than to use them to highlight the risks to which businesses (especially in the scuba industry) expose themselves when they assume they know what they are doing, and proceed blindly without consulting experts that have expertise in whatever endeavor they are pursuing.

I looked at the Official Rules,
rules.JPG

Where it says this:
Official Rules:

• Video content must include scuba diving.
  • Submissions will be accepted between June 22nd and August 17th. Please submit your videos via the online entry form.
  • Five finalists will be choses. Voting runs Aug. 24-30th. Most votes wins. Winner will be announced on August 31st.
  • Videos exhibiting hunting, harassment of wildlife and/or destruction of the underwater environment will be disqualified.
  • Videos must be a minimum of 1 minute and a maximum of 4 minutes. Videos should be submitted with a minimum resolution of 480dpi and a minimum of 24 fps.
  • Top five (5) finalists must submit video file to Shearwater Research within 48 hours of being announced. You will receive an email from a
  • Shearwater representative with instruction on how to send the video file. Failure to submit your video file within 48 hours will result in disqualification, and a new finalist will be chosen. Voting begins Aug. 24th and ends Aug. 30th. Most votes wins.
  • While showing a Shearwater product in the video is not required, we always love to see our equipment in action!
  • No purchase necessary.
  • Shearwater reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason at any time.
  • Participants in the video competition transfer the copyrights of their film to Shearwater Research Inc., allowing the video to be used for promotional purposes. Please ensure submissions do not infringe on other copyrights, including audio or visual. Entries that are considered to be infringing on copyrights will be eliminated. If your video is selected to be within the top 5 you will be asked to submit the original files to Shearwater Research, Inc.
It appears as though it's pretty clear that Shearwater might like to use the winning video for promotional purposes.

With that part being pretty clear... My advice to the person considering entering would be this:

If you think your home video is worth more than the price of a Petrel, then sell your video and use the money to buy a Petrel, and don't enter the contest. If you want to enter a contest and potentially win a Petrel because you have an awesome video and don't mind sharing it, then enter.

I looked at the Official Rules,
rules.JPG

Where it says this:

It appears as though it's pretty clear that Shearwater might like to use the winning video for promotional purposes.

With that part being pretty clear... My advice to the person considering entering would be this:

If you think your home video is worth more than the price of a Petrel, then sell your video and use the money to buy a Petrel, and don't enter the contest. If you want to enter a contest and potentially win a Petrel because you have an awesome video and don't mind sharing it, then enter.

Copyrights transfer to Shearwater.

• Participants in the video competition transfer the copyrights of their film to Shearwater Research Inc., allowing the video to be used for promotional purposes. Please ensure submissions do not infringe on other copyrights, including audio or visual. Entries that are considered to be infringing on copyrights will be eliminated. If your video is selected to be within the top 5 you will be asked to submit the original files to Shearwater Research, Inc.

Last rule listed and only shown on the official rules link. Link is found in the greyed out fine print.

Winner gets a Petrel, all other entrants get nothing and give up copyrights to their video.

Let me start off by saying, I am not a representative of Shearwater Research, Inc.

Apparently (according to the rules) only the finalists will have to send in their videos to Shearwater. It sounds to me like they may be interested in the finalists, and more likely using the winner's video for promotional purposes at some point??

To most recreational photo/video folks, just having a company use their video as a promotional video might be reward enough? But they're giving away a computer.

If the reward isn't worth it to you, then DON'T ENTER.

My comments which are, "If you think your video is worth so much money, then sell it and buy yourself a new dive computer, and don't enter the contest" still stand.

Either enter the contest or don't. But I would let those who are willing to enter their videos, do so in peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom