Wind Reversal Damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back to Bonaire after the summer away and did my first dives this week. Particularly in the areas south of Belnem, I was surprised to see so much shift in the sand and dead coral piled in the near shore. In the shallows, heading to the drop, many of the blade corals were uprooted and toppled. Plus, for example, the big patch of staghorn coral just south of Tori's entry in the 15 feet/5 meter depth was shattered and dispersed, broken bits everywhere.

No one else, so far, has reported this. I know many divers surface swim out and back to the drop off, but for me the the entry and egress through the shallow parts, with the isolated out croppings amongst the sand that shelter so many juveniles is frequently the highlight of the dive.

Maybe most of this has just occurred in the last few days of west wind. Any other observations down the coast?

Back
Top Bottom