Wing and Harness advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They actually aren't all the same. I have, for example, an aluminum plate that has only a 1" slot for a crotch strap. Some plates have holes all the way around the outside, others have only a few. (This can make a difference for securing extra items, or putting on an argon setup.) Slots can be spaced differently, and camband slots can be, too, and this can affect which wings can be used with a given plate. DSS stainless plates have elastomeric grommets in the bottom slots, avoiding the need for a triglide to keep the webbing from sliding, and DSS stainless plates can accept the shaped, lead weight plates they sell, which can bring the plate up to 13 lbs negative (handy for cold water divers). The new Halcyon small pattern plates have the upper slots closer together, so there is no need for little people to cross their straps, as all my rigs are set up. I have also heard that some plates can be poorly finished, so that the slots need to be deburred before they are used.

A plate is not a plate. They are different, and whether the differences matter to you or not depends on you.

Just to add to TSandM's reply (which echoes my thoughts) with a few more details I've noticed:

1) Some plates have a "high" centerline ridge, and some have a "low" one. This directly affects how a single tank sits on your back.

2) Some plates don't have cam band slots. This might affect you if you want to use a single tank but with no STA.

3) There can be more or less plate extending below the waist strap (which can affect whether or not it digs in if you have any sort of "bustle."

4) Some are 316 stainless; I believe others may be 304 or perhaps other types.

5) Some steel plates are heavier than others (separate from whether they offer add-on weights).

6) Some brands of steel plates have purpose-made hardware/attachments to make the harness more quickly adjustable.

7) Some have shoulder straps that angle slightly downwards and some have them that angle slightly the opposite way.

8) Some have rounded lower corners, and some have "flipped up" corners (also to avoid a "square" corner).

Wow. Never knew there were so many differences. Glad to see my new $89.00 Dive Rite SS has all the goodies for a lot less. Anyway my Dive Rite fits me fine.

Absolutely agree with Sparkle and TS. Some plates have lower profiles (think reaching the valve on a single tank). Some have a higher profile (do you want to store a large DSMB behind it?) Some have cam slots. Some don't. Holes around the plate (which I have seen poo-pooed) work for mounting stuff. I've had to drill holes in a couple of plates to mount my "stuff". I'll take lots of holes.

I agree; there are many differences in the variety of BPs out there and the devil is in the details. Obviously sizing, material for weighting, holes for accessories, cam band spacing, finish, & total system integration are things each individual needs to decide what works best for themselves. I think Mopar's suggestion that BPs are just a hunk of metal to mean that base function and durability are similar; a rigid piece of metal that is between the diver and their wing/tank, worn with straps. I don't want to speak for Mopar however. :wink:

Last edited:
The price is not a problem I just want to buy the best.

Then buy Deep Sea Supply.

It is not fancy, but works just great. There is a guy called Tobin, who is the head honcho there who can be found on SB.

The system in simple, well constructed, and obviously built by someone who knows what they are doing.

It is also competitively priced, which does not hurt.

Although admittedly anecdotal, my experience has been that those that proclaim all back plates are the same have either used or seen very few varieties of plates.

Tobin

Thats the guy ... PM him. :)

Scubapro is just a copy of the Halcyon really. The Scubapro is 'jazzed up' a little with some unnecessary glitz. Otherwise, they'll probably function very similarly. What's the price difference?

I've not trialled the scubapro yet, so cannot comment more than that. I've owned 4 Halcyon wings and never had cause for disappointment. I'd still use Halcyon for single tank, but I prefer a smaller volume and 'H' don't do less than 30lbs.

Yeah, I was looking at getting a Halcyon. A little pricey, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I rather pay the extra money for one that I know I won't be disappointed with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom