Wing backpack??s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
But I don't think I have a wing in the pile.....

Or was that a wing and a prayer? :tease: Just askin' of course, but NOW I am going to be accused of being ANTI-Dir... Oh cheese, I have done it now... Maybe if I hit the back button quick enough no one will notice. Nope, that didn't work... I know, I'll use some white-out, THAT should do it... Hmnnnn, maybe silt-out would be more appropriate? Well, if I give 'em the long hose, then maybe they will be too far away to read the dadburned thing... :tease:

I like it except for that extra long inflator hose...
If it were me I would get a shorter one...

The pack looks like it has the waist band already but no shoulder straps....

I sould go out in the shop and look at the ones I have because I know they are rigged with shoulder straps but it seems as if the left strap had a weight belt buckle for getting in and out...

Properly rigged that wouldn't be necessary.

You will like it!

Originally posted by Rick L
I am going to make a stainless bracket for the top that I can bolt on for top dir notches!

Hey Rick....
What did you mean by the above in your first post????

That is what got me to thinking you were building a *contraption* (which you aren't)

Why not just use the slots at the top of the plastic backpack for your shoulder harness webbing?

Yea the upper straps where part of the scubapro bc!
I was going to remove the lower belt and replace it with one
solid piece of webbing! I found the dir harness diagram and saved
it to follow. Hmm I think it was in one of your posts hehe!!!
Those d rings are they easy to buy??
Thanks Rick L

Do you think it would work?
I thougth it might put the straps to close to each other?
But I will try it to see!
Thanks Rick L

Rick,
Yes, the straps will be close together.... they form a V behind your neck!!!

I wish I had a camera here... I would take a picture for you...

You should be able to get the SS D-rings and SS weight belt keepers for $1 a piece. Put three of the D-rings in a vice and whack them with a hammer to bend them over a tad...

Realize that you will be missing out on a few of the benefits of a SS backplate going this route:

The plate lets you take weight off the belt and the shoulder straps fit your shoulders better. But you will have fun anyway.

You might want to put a weight belt buckle on one of the shoulder straps if you have any doubts about being able to get out. I don't know about using a crotch strap... that is another key benefit of the BP.

Thanks do you think I need a crotch strap with this setup?
What is it needed for? I read on a dir page it has something to do with scooters? thanks for the help Rick L

I dunno about the backpack and a waist strap....

As fas as waist straps on Backplates go....

They have a D-ring in front for the scooter to tow you by and a D-ring in the back to hang your reel... or tow an additional scooter or buddy...

But for most scooterless folk they serve an important purpose....

With my backplate I can have the shoulder webbing less than tight... in fact it is easy for me to self don and doff both in the water and out....

This would make a very sloppy rig to dive however!

When I put my waist belt through the loop in the crotch strap and tighten it up it serves to snug up my shoulder straps....

A just like that I have a very solid rig!!! But I can easily open my waist buckle... pull the crotch strap loose and my shoulders are loose enough to get out... :D

After you have played around with the backpack you might what to make a backplate... it should be easy enough for you to do....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom