Wing inflator issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cecilb63

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an oxy sig series wing whose inflator button on the inflator is sticking a bit. Took it to an LDS and they want to replace it for $40 bucks with a scubapro inflator versus cleaning. They say cleaning is not worth the money and the problem could occur again.

Is this the right choice? If so, is the scubapro inflator a good replacement? I believe he said it is metal versus the plastic style I have on the oxy.

Any help here would be appreciated,

Chris

I just rebuilt mine and my wife's. One Oxycheq and one OMS. Both inflators are exactly the same and are plastic. The valve and spool inside are metal. I know you will need two 006 o-rings for each because I had to order them. There are two other larger o-rings in each as well, but I cannot remember what they were. I did have them in my bag of parts though, so they are pretty standard. I found them very easy to rebuild but I must confess, I used to work rebuilding hydraulic and pnumatic parts in a former life. I did them both in less than an hour.
As far as "the problem could occur again" certainly it could. AAMOF, it WILL occur again if they are not rinsed well after use. I found green gunk inside of my two. This was the cause of the problem, not the brand or material that it was made of. If they rebuild it correctly it will be as good as a new one.

To the best of my knowledge the Inflaors Oxycheq uses are pretty generic, as are the ones we use, and many others in the industry use.

The inner spool is plated brass, and may need to see a little vinegar to clean it up. The two small Orings are dynamic 006's as noted above. You may not need to replace the static orings, but check them.

You will need either a special wrench to remove the spool, or you will have to get creative, this maybe why your LDS didn't want to bother.

Use care dissasembling the valve. The plunger is also brass and has small threads on either end. One end holds the puch button on, and the other end has a small hex piece. It's not to hard to twist the plunger in two :11:

This is why I force some fresh water through the LP hose nipple when cleaning my gear.

In a pinch I have removed the LP Quick disconnect nipple from the inflator, added a few drops of silicone lube and then reassembled the nipple and force the lube through the spool valve with the lp hose. Temporary fix, better to take apart and clean.

Good luck,

Tobin

The scubapro balanced inflator is an excellent inflator. But I would be inclined to DIY repair rather than replace it. BTW, they do show up on ebay from time to time for under $30.

If they charge almost the same for a new one vs. cleaning, why not get the new inflator?

cecilb63:
I have an oxy sig series wing whose inflator button on the inflator is sticking a bit. Took it to an LDS and they want to replace it for $40 bucks with a scubapro inflator versus cleaning. They say cleaning is not worth the money and the problem could occur again.

Is this the right choice? If so, is the scubapro inflator a good replacement? I believe he said it is metal versus the plastic style I have on the oxy.

Any help here would be appreciated,

Chris

Your LDS is right. I had an older Halcyon inflator (not the SS one) stick on one day and create some serious issues while I was fairly deep. I eventually went and got the ScubaPro balanced inflator from my LDS and have been very happy with it. Personally, if I knew an inflator was having a few issues, I'd throw it away and put a new one on instantly. Don't mess around with a messed up inflator. They are cheap, easy to replace and your life isn't worth it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've decided to replace the old inflator, also will do my DSS while I'm at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom