Wing size question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover31

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

While I'm sure this is covered somewhere in the archives I'm having quite the time searching and would appreciate any and all advice

I'm about to switch to double worthington X7 steel 100's, from my current set of older double steel 72's (2250psi).

I currently use the oxycheq vertex 42lb wing, and am wondering whether I would need to switch to the 55 lb version. I'm guessing the 42 would be fine for the tanks, but I'm looking to add a couple of stages ( AL40 and Al80) as well to take the intro trimix course.

Anyways, what lift are you wearing with the set-up if you have similar, or what would you recommend.

Would 42lbs be enough lift

Background info - Will be wearing a drysuit with 10lbs of weight on the belt and a 6lb backplate. Theorectically all this comes in under 42lbs, but what in practice it may be different.

Thanks for all info in advance

I use an AGIR 38 wing with my twin 130's. Salt and fresh water.

In fresh water, filled with Nitrox the wing is getting close to its capacity but is still doable.

If your stages are Luxfer you shouldn't have any issues.

Look at the sticky for the calculator in the top of this forum or do a search for "Tobin" and "lift" he educates people on this ad nauseum. One point though stages are not part of the calculation.

Don't know if it helps...but this is my setup.

Worthington 119's (doubled) + Aluminum backplate + Drysuit with light undergarment = no additional weight needed. I have a DiveRite 50 lb wing and an OMS 60 lb. Both easily have enough lift for the above setups.

If I am wearing substantially thicker undergarments I might switch over to the stainless steel backplate for the additional weight.

40 cuft deco bottles aren't really much of an issue as they are -0.7 full and +2.3 when empty (luxfer cylinders). Using a 80 is more of a concern to me when it gets empty because it is +4.4 although having said that it is rare that I use an 80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom