Winter Jetty Fest 2010 Jan 22-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ft Pickens area map:

Ft_Pickens_Parking_copy.jpg

How to get to the dive site from the entrance of the fort:

Ft_Pickens_Directions_2.jpg

There will be a bonfire and smores right? :D

Here is something I put together about Alabama Point Jetties & Seawall last year. The only information that isn't acurate is that Gary's Gulf Divers is going out of business and wont be there by the time the event happens :shakehead::

Dive Spot: Alabama Point Seawall & Jetties

City/State Location:Orange Beach, Alabama

Type of diving Shore Dive

Picture:

0012.JPG

004.JPG

Directions:

From the parking lot of Dive Pros to Jetties: 20.1 Miles (about 25-30 minutes).

(1) Turn right (East) out of the parking lot on US-98 toward Amberwood Dr 0.2 mi

(2) Make a U-turn at Amberwood Dr and begin heading West. Drive 2.3 miles to Blue Angel Parkway (approximately 5 minutes).

(3) Turn Left (South) for 3.2 miles until you reach the Wal-Mart (approximately 5 minutes).

(4) Turn right on Sorrento Rd/SR-292 and continue to follow SR-292 entering Alabama for 12.0 miles (approximately 18 minutes).

(5) Once you reach the Alabama Border SR-292 turns into Al-182. Continue on this road for 2.3 more miles (approximately 4 minutes) and you will arrive at the Alabama Point Seawall and Jetty.

From the parking lot of MBT Divers to Jetties: 19.9 Miles (about 31 minutes).

(1) Turn right (West) out of the parking lot on Barrancas Ave

(2) At the light veer to the right off of Barrancas and follow Gulf Beach HWY (FL 292) all the way into Alabama

(3) Once in Alabama, FL-292 becomes AL-182

(4) AL-182 will bring you right to Alabama Point.

(5) Do not use the big parking lot at Alabama Point (to far of a walk) instead pass the big parking lot and go to the next road on your left (gulf drive) there is an abandoned parking lot there you can use which gives you close access to both the seawall and the jetty.

Google Maps Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=30.397966,+-87.307405&daddr=30.277275,-87.555993&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.922255,59.238281&ie=UTF8&ll=30.316284,-87.470398&spn=0.135739,0.2314&z=12&om=1

GPS Coordinates: 30.277275,-87.555993

About the DiveSite: Both the seawall and the jetty are a good place to dive. Make sure to pull a surface flag with you and stay out of the boat traffic. This can easily be done as long as you stay fairly close to the seawall or jetty as boat traffic will stay far away. You also need to plan this dive at either high or low slack tide. High slack tide will give you the best visibility as more fresh/clean water will be in the pass during your dive. The best way to figure out when high slack tide is to go to http://saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/alabamasites.html and select mobile point (FortMorgan). Select the month, starting day, and how many days of tide info you want. Simply add 15 minutes to what ever the data says for high slack tide for Mobile Point (FortMorgan) and you will have a pretty accurate time table for high slack tide. Remember tide tables are pretty accurate, but sometimes Mother Nature doesn’t like to go by our clock so check conditions before you dive.
There is a lot of old rubble all along the seawall and remnants of an old pier located about in the middle. It is not uncommon to see southern stingrays, octopus, and various types of saltwater fish in this area. This isn’t a popular fishing location for nothing! Since this area is used for fishing, make sure to look out for monofilament line and carry a knife or surgical scissors to cut line if necessary.

What to expect at the dive site: A nice relaxing day of diving. During slack tide you can easily make your way up and down the seawall or jetty.
If you are a bit more advanced you can wait for when the tide is just starting to go out and enter at the base of the rock jetty. Then just let the current take you on a drift dive to the end of the point. Then turn right and return on the other side of the jetty out of the current to the beach (this makes for a great dive, but a long walk to the car so plan for this if you chose to do this).

Where to park: There is a large parking lot right at the jetties. Parking is free.

Amenities/Facilities: There isn’t much in the way of facilities since the hurricanes. There are some port-o-johns located in the parking lot under the overpass. If port-o-johns aren’t your cup of tea there are some local businesses in the area if the need arises. Then there always is your wetsuit J.

Cost/Fee's associated with site: This site is free to dive.

Times Open: This dive site is open to divers 24/7. Many people enjoy night diving this location as well.

Pros and Cons: There isn’t a whole lot of depth to this site, but then again you will get a lot of bottom time to enjoy the site and practice your skills. This site is dependant on the tides. The current can move very fast turning tidal movements at this location, so diving around high slack and low slack tide should only be done. There is boat traffic through this pass so you must be mindful to not swim out into the channel. This can easily be accomplished by keeping fairly close to the seawall or jetty (which is where all the cool stuff is anyway).

Most recent date visited: January 1, 2008

Expected Vis: Around 15-20 feet is a good stand-by. Of course visibility can go up to 50 feet or down to 5 feet, it’s the gulf and it’s always a bit of a crap shoot (Remember high slack tide will give you the best visibility).

Depths: Expect 20 to 30 FSW (feet salt water). Depending on how the current is moving the sand there can be a bit deeper areas from time to time.

Water temps: These are approximate water temperatures, check weather reports before your dive.
Summer: (Jun-Sept) 80*-87*
Fall: (Oct-Nov) 67*-80*
Winter: (Dec-Mar) 55*-67*
Spring: (Apr-May) 70*-78*

Closest Air Fills or Dive Shops: There are no air fills on site, the closest dive shops are:

Good Places to eat near site: This is by no means The List as there are many places to eat in Orange Beach near this location, but here are a few:
Other Comments: This handout is only a guideline for this dive site. Make sure to check weather and tides before attempting this dive. If conditions the day you go to dive this site seems to be a bit over your head, they are- wait for another day when things look better. This site can be a very enjoyable dive, just make sure you are up to it before you enter. Safe Diving!!!!!!

One day during the winter on a crappy viz day at Alabama Point I was just taking my time and scanning over things when I found this little guy hanging out:

0092.JPG

Maybe we could get Mike S to put some information about the PC Jetties on here and SeaYoda to post some of his good info on the Destin Jetties.

All Florida State Parks normally charge about 16 per night.

Pickens isn't part of the State Park system, its actually Gulf National Seashore, which is spread between Florida and Mississippi.

I've camped at Pickens a bunch of times, but not since the reopening. I think it was just under $20 before, with power and water. I wish they'd have a cheaper, primitive option, when I camp... I camp.

Ft Pickens is not a state park tho . It's a Federal Park.

A January dive sounds like fun i will be there

I stand corrected. That could be the reason why I could not find Ft Pickens on the Florida State Parks website. If it were 30 per night I will still be there, although I might be in divorce court when I tell the wife that I will be going on another Diving vacation. :popcorn:

At “Loop A”, water and electricity to the camp sites are available and a dump station is operational. Loops B,C, D, and E will be restored by October 17, 2009. All sites are open on a first-come, first-served basis.
Electric sites are $20.00 a night and non-electric $10.00 a night. All campers must register at the Fort Pickens Ranger Station between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Campers who have Golden Age/Interagency Senior and Golden Access/Interagency Access Pass holders receive a 50% discount.
Reservations will not be available until 2010.
The Campground Store is not open this season. Limited supplies and grocery items will be available at the Firehouse Snack Bar near the fishing pier.
For additional information please call 850-934-2621.

Gulf Islands National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Good info. I'll definately be there, and although I'm within driving distance I wouldn't miss the opportunity to see the Egg in action...Again!

So Denise, since you'll be able to get a discount at the gate (AARP), can you rent me a site?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom