winter months!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done snowboarding, tried cross country skiing...none of them have ever captured me quite the way that diving has. I do go wilderness camping during the winter a few times, so that satisfies me...but nothing else takes the place of the diving addiction!

Omicron once bubbled...
I've done snowboarding, tried cross country skiing...none of them have ever captured me quite the way that diving has. I do go wilderness camping during the winter a few times, so that satisfies me...but nothing else takes the place of the diving addiction!
I can respect that.. For me, the "fun" is entirely different. Ripping through a tree line and cutting that edge hard into the snow and sending out a wave of white powder...teetering on the edge of out of control and feeling that adrenaline hit..

I really wanna snowboard :( .

SNOW DARN YOU!

O-ring once bubbled...
SNOW DARN YOU!

Sinner!!!! :D

I like snow for like the first week. Then...I want my warm weather back. I do actually really enjoy fall - I hunt as well, so there is not much better than being in the woods and the colors and the scents of the forest...but it seems to go by so quickly and then that white junk falls all over the place.

FLArmyBrat once bubbled...
You mean to tell me that people actually STOP diving because of the weather??? Baffling....:confused:

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:
Of course! When there are other equally fun things to do, a little diversity helps keep things interesting.

Of course! When there are other equally fun things to do, a little diversity helps keep things interesting.

Of course I was kidding ;-)

But I live in FL where there is always a 72 degree spring w/in driving distance!

I have other interests...I just don't remember what they are since I got certified in Sept. LOLOL

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

...for November, December and January.

I didn't think that I'd be doing winter diving when I bought my Drysuit last spring, but now that I have it and my drygloves, I see no reason to stop diving until the ice closes the lakes.

Have a trip to Higgins Lake scheduled for Saturday the 8th of November for a couple dives.

On the 20th we leave for a Thanksgiving vacation in the Keys and my AOW training. Should be able to make a dozen dive in the warm water of the keys before heading North again. Back from that early in December I'm on call until after Christmas, so have a couple dives planned for the first Saturday in January, the 3rd, at Gilboa Quarry to greet the new year.

Depending on the amount of ice we see on the lakes this year, and when, I'd like to take an Ice Diving certification class from the dive shop this winter, just to say that I've done it. Face it, it's a lot colder on the surface than in the water in the winter. I've experienced 33 degree water last spring on the deck of the Niagara II in Tobermory, and it didn't kill me, so I guess diving through the ice would be tolerable.

So I guess I'll be diving through the cold months of the winter.

Eh, the air temp doesn't really bother me. You stay in your drysuit, and if you've got good boots and socks on it your feet stay warm. I just pop a nice fleece hat w/ a facemask on once I get out and dry my head off.

Personally I am putting away my dive gear and getting out all of my ski equipment (both telemark and downhill). I start ski instructor training in a week so I am doubtful I will get another dive in around here this year, though this weekend would be great if I didn't have to work....75 and sunny all weekend.

Don Burke once bubbled...
I intend to run dive trips out of Norfolk whenever I can get divers and the weather to cooperate. Winter is normally our best visability.

Don, what kind of temp do you hit at depth down there in the winter? We regularly get into the 30s up here (Northern Massachusetts). I don't go winter diving very often mostly because of how cold it is on land, though. I can take the water. :)

Norfolk's a bit of a trip for me but I'd be interested in more info.

Back
Top Bottom