Woman killed by Eagle Ray in Marathon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eagle rays breach? Is that known behavior?

There are plenty of stories about fishes injuring people by jumping into their boats. This would just be another except that its a species I didn't think breached.

It is really pretty common to see them jump. The first time I saw it was in Big Carlos Pass next to Fort Myers Beach about 30 yards in front of my boat. I looked like a five foot UFO coming out of the water. The second I came home I did some quick research as I thought it must be one of the rarest thing ever....and found out they jump all the time. I probably see it 10 times a year while out fishing...maybe more.

I have seen my fair share of strange things to living here. I have seen Eagle Rays jump out of the water same goes for Barracuda's But I have also seen soem strange things with sharks. I have seen sharks jumping out of the water like dolphins. I think ??? they were feeding. I have had yellow tails jump in my boat while fishing, boy's thought it was great but flying yellow tails was really strange. I just read I thin it was on deeper blue that a nurse shark was trying to take a mans fish from him that was attached to his side and the nurse shark was grabing between his legs trying to get to his fish. This is not something nurse sharks do. They stay on the bottom but never in the middle of the deep blue to feed.
strange things happen all the time it's life I guess.

The Miami Herald is reporting there were no barb wounds on the deceased.
Keys tourist dies in encounter with eagle ray - 03/20/2008 - MiamiHerald.com
BY CAMMY CLARK
cclark@MiamiHerald.com
908-P1010063.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

DETECTIVE MARK COLEMAN/MONROE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
This Spotted Eagle Ray jumped into a boat Thursday off the shores of Marathon and hit a woman on board, killing her.
» More Photos
MARATHON -- A 55-year-old woman from Michigan died Thursday in a freak accident in which she was struck by a 75-pound spotted eagle ray that jumped out of the Atlantic Ocean just off the shore of Key Colony Beach near Marathon, said Bobby Dube, spokesperson for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

''The officer on scene said she fell and maybe struck her head, too,'' Dube said. ``There was a lot of blood on the boat.

There was no immediate cause of death, although authorities said no barb wounds were found on the woman. The spotted eagle ray landed in the bow of the boat, and it appears the woman may have hit her head on a metal rail on the side of the boat. She will be taken for an autopsy to be performed by the Monroe County medical examiner.

The woman was pleasure boating with her elderly parents and a sister about 10 a.m. on a 25-foot open fisherman vessel.

''She was just cruising on the boat, thinking they would enjoy a nice day of fun in the sun when something tragic happened,'' Dube said. ``I've been in the Keys just under 20 years, and this is a first.''

After the woman was struck, family members performed CPR and drove the boat to the nearest dock at a home off 111th Street. A resident called 911.

Spotted eagle rays are capable of leaping completely out of the water when pursued. They swim by ''flying'' gracefully through the water via the undulation of the pectoral fins.

''They naturally jump out of the water, like porpoises do,'' Dube said. ``It's natural to them and quite spectacular to watch.''

Dube said it was just a freak accident for the woman to be in the ray's path when it jumped.

A spotted eagle ray stung a Broward County man in October 2006, piercing his chest with its toxic barb.

The 30-pound stringray leapt into James Bertakis' boat while the 81-year-old man was on the water near Lighthouse Point with his granddaughter and one of her friends. The foot-long barb stuck into Bertakis' chest and entered his heart chamber.

Bertakis, now 83, has made an almost full recovery, according to son Jim Bertakis. After several weeks in intensive care followed by in-patient rehabilitation, the elder Bertakis is ''90 percent'' better, his son said. He even has been back on the water in his 16-foot boat.

''Dad's doing great. I just saw him three days ago,'' Jim Bertakis said Thursday from Michigan. ``It's a miracle he survived. We smile every time we see him.''

Miami Herald staff writer Evan S. Benn contributed to this report.

Sad case of wrong place and wrong time. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

very bizare! and to think I was about 15' away from a pair this past weekend.
and to think you're pretty much safe onboard the boat :/

It figures that the media would hop on the chance to exploit another stingray "stabbing" and flash it about in the news, with no facts to back it up.

As deepstops said there was no barb wound. I'm not sure how much cpr was performed. A sheriff on the scene said much of her face was destroyed. The ray also died on impact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom