Equipment Woman loses lower leg to prop - Maldives liveaboard

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by equipment failures including personal dive gear, compressors, analyzers, or odd things like a ladder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[But.....but.....cutting tools are bad!

How dare you dive with something pointy.]

One swipe with a decent dive knife, and this wouldn't have happened. SB might want to rethink its stance.
Cutting tools are such a good idea that dive pros are REQUIRED to have them in the water when teaching.....Dive with a cutting tool. Your life might depend on it.

Hi @Dan

Is that an IP gauge on the left LP hose? I assume that is your inflator hose.

Yep. I make myself a habit to check the LP pressure to make sure rock steady (not creeping) before I clip the LP hose to the power inflator, to avoid free flowing my 2nd stage later during the dive. Just one of those pre-check dive gear before going to dive.

And for those of you that want to use this technique/type (which is a good one, BTW 🙂 ), you can simply disconnect LP hose from your inflator, launch the SMB, and reconnect to your inflator. You don't need a dedicated hose for this. 👍 Happy diving!

That’s an option, especially if your 1st stage regulator doesn’t have 2nd LP port to connect an LP hose to, but you add 2 steps to the DSMB launching procedure (disconnecting & reconnecting the LP hose to power inflator). In my case, I have 2nd LP port available on my Scubapro MK25. So why not connecting it to another LP hose for launching DSMB?

The power inflator hose is a bit too short for me to connect it to DSMB nozzle. I have to do it almost in front of my face, blocking the already limited view of my mask (remember that we do this procedure underwater with mask on). I get the red hose long enough where its quick disconnect nozzle is clipped to my left waist D-ring. I can simply reach it with my left hand, without looking and pull it in front of me and easily insert the DSMB fill nozzle, which is already pretty small (1/4” diameter) to begin with.

Yep. I make myself a habit to check the LP pressure to make sure rock steady (not creeping) before I clip the LP hose to the power inflator, to avoid free flowing my 2nd stage later during the dive. Just one of those pre-check dive gear before going to dive.
I check my IP pressure before a series of dives and then leave the gauge at home. That seems sufficient.

The power inflator hose is a bit too short for me to connect it to DSMB nozzle. I have to do it almost in front of my face, blocking the already limited view of my mask (remember that we do this procedure underwater with mask on). I get the red hose long enough where its quick disconnect nozzle is clipped to my left waist D-ring. I can simply reach it with my left hand, without looking and pull it in front of me and easily insert the DSMB fill nozzle, which is already pretty small (1/4” diameter) to begin with.
Good point on hose length, etc. That can certainly be an issue. I neglected to consider that I often dive with an Aqualung i3 that has a long LP hose and connects to the inflator at the hip. I get neutral, disconnect the hose, fill the SMB, and once the SMB is at the surface, reconnect the LP. A separate LP is a great option. Just wanted people who don't want to add the hose to think about using their existing hose if they hadn't already. :)

And for those of you that want to use this technique/type (which is a good one, BTW 🙂 ), you can simply disconnect LP hose from your inflator, launch the SMB, and reconnect to your inflator. You don't need a dedicated hose for this. 👍 Happy diving!

Good point on hose length, etc. That can certainly be an issue. I neglected to consider that I often dive with an Aqualung i3 that has a long LP hose and connects to the inflator at the hip. I get neutral, disconnect the hose, fill the SMB, and once the SMB is at the surface, reconnect the LP. A separate LP is a great option. Just wanted people who don't want to add the hose to think about using their existing hose if they hadn't already. :)

I use my dry suit hose, if needed, when diving wet.
it's a bit longer and is with me anyway.

Normally just use a lift bag, and a 7ft hose second stage.

An even easier technique is to have your buddy hold one of the 3 things involved. I usually get SWMBO to hold the spool while I press the duckbill bottom and the purge valve, but really: any of the 3 works.

An even easier technique ...
Hmmm. I don't agree. I think one needs to be proficient at deploying his/her DSMB without assistance--just in case he/she has to.

Pretty straightforward to just exhale/exhaust into the bag. No need to plug in, or first disconnect and then plug in, a LP inflator hose. No need to have an extra LP inflator hose attached to your regulator. Just don't get tangled up in the bag or its line. Best if one keeps things simple, I think.

rx7diver

Hmmm. I don't agree. I think one needs to be proficient at deploying his/her DSMB without assistance--just in case he/she has to.

Pretty straightforward to just exhale/exhaust into the bag. No need to plug in, or first disconnect and then pug in, a LP inflator hose. No need to have an extra LP inflator hose attached to your regulator. Just don't get tangled up in the bag or its line. Best if one keeps things simple, I think.

rx7diver
But an LP hose is very fast and it just pops off when full
No bubbles to catch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom