Equipment Woman loses lower leg to prop - Maldives liveaboard

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by equipment failures including personal dive gear, compressors, analyzers, or odd things like a ladder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. I don't agree. I think one needs to be proficient at deploying his/her DSMB without assistance--just in case he/she has to.

Pretty straightforward to just exhale/exhaust into the bag. No need to plug in, or first disconnect and then plug in, a LP inflator hose. No need to have an extra LP inflator hose attached to your regulator. Just don't get tangled up in the bag or its line. Best if one keeps things simple, I think.

rx7diver
Not so easy to do if you’re using a large SMB. I‘ll add a longish LP hose if I think I’ll need to deploy an SMB.

Not so easy to do if you’re using a large SMB. I‘ll add a longish LP hose if I think I’ll need to deploy an SMB.
I am thinking of a DSMB. I put a puff of air in it, which allows it to orient vertically. Then I put more air in it before releasing it to let it ascend to the surface. The air I put in it will expand as the DSMB ascends, so I don't need to "fill" the DSMB before releasing it; the DSMB will be sufficiently "full" when it reaches the surface. Easy-peasy. This is the approach I was taught many years ago, the approach I continue to use.

My primary DSMB is a Carter Lift Bags DSMB that I've owned since the late 1990's. Quite substantial. It will probably outlast me! I don't know if Carter still makes these.

rx7diver

I am thinking of a DSMB. I put a puff of air in it, which allows it to orient vertically. Then I put more air in it before releasing it to let it ascend to the surface. The air I put in it will expand as the DSMB ascends, so I don't need to "fill" the DSMB before releasing it; the DSMB will be sufficiently "full" when it reaches the surface. Easy-peasy. This is the approach I was taught many years ago, the approach I continue to use.

My primary DSMB is a Carter Lift Bags DSMB that I've owned since the late 1990's. Quite substantial. It will probably outlast me! I don't know if Carter still makes these.

rx7diver
I agree, no need to fully inflate, the smb will expand as it rises. I just use a puff of air from my octopus to inflate. Important to just reel up slack cord with tension as you ascend keep an eye out for boats all the time. Do your 5m 3 minute safety stop whilst still keeping ann eye out for the boats above then you can fully surface after safety stop has timed out. By which time the cord should be fully reeled when you have surfaced, pull bungey over reel to stop reel unspooling cord, never ever clip SMB to any of your gear when and once inflated. When boarding then just pass Smb with reel to dhoni person helping you get on board the dhoni. I have dived on Maldives Livaboards for many years they all are accompanied with diving dhonis which are brilliant. The dhoni crew have been excellent. Never keep slack on the cord to avoid entangled. Hope the lady is recovering and is on the mend. We need more info relating to actual events as there are so many possibilities that could have caused this unfortunate incident.

This is absolutely horrific. Good thing she survived but wow what a trauma to go through

Maybe because “their” DSMB became entangled meant she came up without or near an SMB. That’s the mouth of a vey busy port where the speedboats enter at high speed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom