Wonderment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That reminds me of my very first two ocean dives (I was certified in a freshwater quarry in PA). My mask kept leaking no matter what! I paid a divemaster to accompany me on my first two ocean dives and expressed my concern to him. He said "you have a big huge smile, that's why your mask is leaking!" :D

I swear, mine still does that on every dive! I grin like a goofball. :D

CD thank you for the beautiful reflection.
so true.
in another sport--I regret to admit
that I was the judgmental-minimalist-self-proclaimed guru

its refreshing to be reborn as a juvenile semi-dork diver
with a big smile on my face every time I discover something new to me
an innocent stage that strangely I rush to leave,
while also secretly savoring :)

but now your gentle words make me wonder--
how much of this stuff I actually need.
i dont have a lot,
but its probably reduced further
by diving with a trusted partner and/or decent shop.

i think sometimes safety gear can reinforce confidence
and confidence and skill
can eventually eliminate the need for external reinforcement
so for now I keep the cool dork gear and the accompanying smile
and thank you for your gracious appeal to the minimalist-self-proclaimed SCUBA gurus

Had you left out your disdain for people who don't use gear/color similar yours, it could have been an interesting post.

Whenever something is written, the interpretation of the meaning becomes open to the opinion of the person who reads it. There are entire classes dedicated to ferreting out the meaning and symbolism in classic works of literature. But in the end, "The Old Man and the Sea" might simply have been a fish story.

My post was simply a post. Slightly embellished and colored to paint a picture of the brand new diver proudly sporting every gadget and gizmo the dive store had in stock. Reveling in those first moments, full of possibilities, excitement and reminding everyone, that we were that diver once.

It's not a shot at anyone. Rather, it's underscoring the naive innocence many of us approached diving with in regards to skills and equipment when we first started this journey and how the simplicity of it made it that much more enjoyable.

Most divers still enjoy it. They still get that rush every time they get in the water and every time they talk about it. That's why we're all here in this community, to share that feeling with others that "get it." However, like almost everything its that "first time" that seems to hold a special place for most people.

If the focus you took from the post was "disdain," whether real or perceived, you're certainly entitled to do so, because after all, it is your opinion. If that opinion is based on the mention of certain groups or gear configurations, you may find this thread helpful: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/273843-who-owns-your-hobby.html

Regards and safe diving.

John

Cave Diver: Wonderful post - difficult to see how anyone could manage to find something negative about this. There is always one in the crowd......

Whenever something is written, the interpretation of the meaning becomes open to the opinion of the person who reads it. There are entire classes dedicated to ferreting out the meaning and symbolism in classic works of literature. But in the end, "The Old Man and the Sea" might simply have been a fish story.

My post was simply a post. Slightly embellished and colored to paint a picture of the brand new diver proudly sporting every gadget and gizmo the dive store had in stock. Reveling in those first moments, full of possibilities, excitement and reminding everyone, that we were that diver once.

It's not a shot at anyone. Rather, it's underscoring the naive innocence many of us approached diving with in regards to skills and equipment when we first started this journey and how the simplicity of it made it that much more enjoyable.

Most divers still enjoy it. They still get that rush every time they get in the water and every time they talk about it. That's why we're all here in this community, to share that feeling with others that "get it." However, like almost everything its that "first time" that seems to hold a special place for most people.

If the focus you took from the post was "disdain," whether real or perceived, you're certainly entitled to do so, because after all, it is your opinion. If that opinion is based on the mention of certain groups or gear configurations, you may find this thread helpful: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/273843-who-owns-your-hobby.html

Regards and safe diving.

John

Well, that's nice and all but you did let your feelings about gear choices and colors show through making such items seem silly or worse. It takes a clever writer to mask their own feelings. I think they teach those classes as well.

Seemed you had two themes going on; 1. A nice story about the excitement one experiences very early on, and 2. How you view certian gear choices and how you associate those choices with newbies.

#1 was good but weaving in #2 just didn't seem necessary to telling the story. Just my opinion.

Safe diving to you too and thanks.

Last edited:
It seems to me that what Cave Diver was saying was that, no matter what HIS reaction is to the rest of the photograph, that smile was enough to overcome it and make him flash back on being a brand, new diver.

I felt that way today. I was diving a site with a whole BUNCH of classes, and they had totally mucked up the visibility. But you can't be upset with them, because you were there once, and because the smiles on the faces of the new divers just remind you of the joy of those first dives.

The wonder of diving is noteworthy. The arrogent, pompous, condescending comments regarding gear choices is unwarranted, particularly in this forum.

Good diving, Craig

Gentlemen,

In case you missed it, the other diver that I referenced was me. So if you see it as ridicule, arrogance or anything further on my part towards the new diver, keep in mind that I must be viewing myself in the same light.

This is simply about the joy of diving when it was new and fresh. There is no malice attached to any of the descriptions I've used and if that is all you see from this post, then I would urge that you consider your own reasons for feeling that way.

Since this is the Basic forum, will not attempt to defend or explain my position or my post any further here. People will think what they wish to think regardless of anything else I might add.

For those of you who expressed appreciation, thank you. For those of you who didn't, I value the input and will take it into consideration for the next topic. If anyone wishes to discuss it privately, my PM box is open.

CD - I wondered if you were in actual physical self-reflection -

which makes the story much more interesting

with time and experience hopefully perspectives always change

and only the exceptional can humbly look back in time

to find joy and value in what they percieve to have out grown

I'm inspired to take a fully geared-up self-portrait now

just to laugh later when I think I know a bit more :)

Last edited:
I thought it was a nice post.... Even though I could have easily took offense at the "jacket bc" comment (have worn one ever since my fist OW class and now many years later still have the same one - be nice). Having assisted in many classes and dives, usually the first dive ends with a terrified, wide eyed diver. But there is absolutely nothing that will ever compare to that first "I really dig this" grin... I remember mine. It was when I was caught in a school of perch... Approximately my 5th dive... Absolutely stunning. Although I still come up grinning, it will never be the same as that "first time".

To take the negative vibes away from you, I think sometimes people just plain pick things apart for the fun of it... From experience, trying to explain yourself only makes it worse.

By the way... Thanks for the input on "The Old Man and the Sea"... Here I've been thinking it's about Joe Dimaggio the whole time!!! (grin)

Back
Top Bottom