World record dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The local paper here in Cayman ran an article detailing a new world record for a certain class of breath-hold diving.

A Caymanian-born resident of the United States set a record of 525 feet on a breath hold dive recently in the Turks and Caicos. She surpassed the old records for both men and women.

The accompanying photo shows her holding onto a weighted sled. The article also mentioned that the particular class of breath-hold diving she was doing permitted an "air-assisted ascent." I'm not quite sure what that entails, but regardless she held her breath for well more than 3 minutes.

Side note, is that the duration record recently set in Tennessee was in South Holston Lake near the northeast Tennessee city of Kingsport - my old home town.

breathe holding. That hyperventilation crap really is pretty cool. I was doing it in my pool and I came up after awhile because I thought I had over done it. I took 10 quick deep breathes right in a row..............................j/k I did 3.

I wonder why Master Chief Sunday or Carl Brashear didn't use this technique in the bar scene. Hmmm, I guess we'll never know.

I would imagine that guy looked like as wrinkled as a california raisin when he came out of there!:eek:ut:

Man, i'd fall asleep.

I've caught myself almost nodding off a few times when i'm really relaxed and just chilling out on the line during even long safety stops. I wrap my legs around the line and just kind of hang out...lay back and relax, the sound of bubbles, the sun, the water....heck, next thing I know my eyes are closed and i'm almost taking a nap :)

And I only do this on calm days - I know better than to hang on the line in rough water.

Drew,
Yes it was. South Holston Lake just East of Bristol. The guy was diving at the Laurel Marina boat dock at the 421 bridge. I have friends in Bristol also and dive South Holston occasionally myself. Was up there for the race last weekend, but didn't get any diving in. Nice lake, no vis... and always cold. :tree: Bob.

All I have to say is "Shrinkage, major Shrinkage". Anyone hear a Sienfeld fan?

Shrinkage wouldn't even begin to describe it. Did you see the pictures of his hands???? Talk about looking like a raisin...

Back
Top Bottom