Worlds smallest fish found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060125/ap_on_sc/indonesia_tiny_fish

Of course the media screwed this up too. According to them 1/3 of an inch is smaller than 1/10 of a millimeter. Never trust teh media to get anything straight but it's a cool tiny fish!

So how do you even see a fish that's 1/10 of 1 mm long? Using a micro-scope?

Even if it was 1/10 of a centameter, 1mm, it still would be smaller. Ya gotta wonder about these people sometimes. I wonder what the real size is?

hey guys... i read the article... they say that the newly discovered fish
is less than 1/3 of an inch long, and that the previous "smaller" fish was only
1/10th of a millimeter longer

i.e. 1/10th of a millimeter longer than 1/3 of an inch

Mature females grow to less than a third of an inch long.

The previous record for world's smallest fish, according to the Natural History Museum, was held by a species of Indo-Pacific goby one-tenth of a millimeter longer.

why they'd go and mix metric with imperial? beats me...

H2Andy:
why they'd go and mix metric with imperial? beats me...

Probably because scientists report in metric, but since most americans don't understand metric, the article writers did some "translating".

WOW smaller worlds smallest fish........macro stuff.....
Thank you for sharing....

Cheer
Jason

I guess I should slow down when skimming articles. My bad. Still! Never believe them.
It has no skull! Now thats weird....

Don't take this wrong folks, but it would be nice if SB's reporters got the story right. I guess it goes with the territory. Reporting and facts, that is - don't mix together very well. :wink:

According to the article: The world's smallest known fish grows to less than 1/3 of an inch long.

The previous record for world's smallest fish, according to the Natural History Museum, was held by a species of Indo-Pacific goby one-tenth of a millimeter longer.

According to an older report by the BBC, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3920183.stm the worlds smallest fish circa 2004 was the stout infantfish at about 7mm, slightly over 1/4 inch. Lightest in weight too. It would take about 500,000 fish to weight one pound. No worries about overfishing to feed a hungry world, only six are known to exist.

So how big is this newly discovered small fish?

Awaiting new reports.

I guess the Philippines is out of the Guiness book again.

Smallest Freshwater Fish
The smallest freshwater fish is the pygmy goby (Pandaka pygmaea), a colorless and nearly see-through species which swims in the streams of Luzon in the Philippines. Males are 7.5 - 9.9-mm (0.28 - 0.38-in) long and weigh 4 - 5 mg (0.00014 - 0.00018 oz).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom