Worth replacing fin straps on fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a pair of Scubapro Kinetix fins and just noticed that the straps are perished. The replacement straps are quite expensive ($80). Does anyone know whether there is such a thing as retro-fitted straps suitable for Kinetix? Or even cheaper replacement straps?

Once you install spring straps you'll never go back to regular straps.

Once you install spring straps you'll never go back to regular straps.

Ain't it the truth!

I don't know, I imagine I'll be the exception on this board but I've tried 2 different pairs of spring straps and hated them.

What didn't you like?

If the straps you tried were too small (especially if you also have thin booties on), they would squeeze your achilles causing pain or uncomfort.

I am not sure I can think of another issue that would result in you hating them.

The first pair I had were made for me to measure (though I tought they were too tight) - the kind with tubing on the spring. I wear thin booties and yes they hurt. I actually can't see that style strap being tight enough to hold the fins securely while still being comfortable in thin booties (and I'm not going to wear thick booties just to make my straps comfortable, I don't dive warm water to wear thick booties!) And jeez it takes a lot of force to stretch these things at all, so not easier to get off than my regular straps. The shorter the strap is, the more of a problem this is going to be.

My second pair were commercial with the big plastic heel pad which would have been more comfortable. (Thought still not as comfortable as my original plain ole rubber straps.) My problem with these were they were too loose, even though they were the smallest size - I actually lost a fin, in dangerous conditions. :( Of course being too long is not the fault of the straps per se, but I see the non-adjustability of springs as a big problem. I would have thought springs would have enough stretchiness to take care of the adjustment needed, but the springs in both of these were way too stiff to help with that.

So while I really like the idea in theory, I just don't see it working for me. I think I'd have to get some kind of heel pads, and make my own sized perfectly to the exact loop of wire. And find springs not as strong as the ones everyone seems to use. I've thought about trying to cook up something from bungies.

I use straps that are comfortable, secure and very inexpensive. I have to replace them every couple hundred dives, but it only takes five minutes and costs less than a dollar. My spring straps have been in my save-a-dive kit for years. :)
DSCF2972.jpg

I got the idea here from Kidspot.
Aloha Shore Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom