would this work to detect CO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob, I'm with you there, was just saying that CO can actually be filtered out and the reason quite a few of us don't feel the need to carry them is that we are diving with our tanks, so no standing sea water in the bottom to generate CO in the tank, and the fill stations that we use are electric compressors with CO monitors and filters in place. Adding CO filtration is like $25 when you go to change your filter stack, cheap insurance. Vacation divers in the middle of nowhere with gas compressors and no CO detection using rental tanks? hell yeah I'd be checking every damn fill, but most of us aren't in that boat.

the point being is yes, CO can be filtered out of air. You should also have a temp cutoff on your compressor because the numbers are documented in the safe operating temps of the compressor. Fitting a temp sending unit isn't hard.

Not to be picky, but actually you are making my point.
CO cannot be filtered out of air, it can be transformed in CO2 which can then be filtered out as CO2 ...
Now your kit is not common everywhere and would not solve issue of CO present in the tank due to oxygen flares and other reasons.

Tasting is safer!

Fabio

I'm confused. If they will indicate the presence of any CO why do I need a number? Also, mine runs off batteries, no electrical outlet needed. And It is quite a savings - ≈ $125 - for someone on a fixed income who wouldn't spend the $170+ for a "real" CO analizer that makes a big difference.
I wanted to get out cheap that way when I first got interested, but they don't react at the very low levels we have to watch out for as already explained.

CO-Pro detectors. $8, reusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then I wanted to go that way to save money, but they had been discontinued. Seems they were revived, but still not practical. "Wait 5 to 10 minutes for a color change. " You'll get tired of that after very few tanks. It's boring enough checking tanks with a good tester & 10 second readings when such a small percentage show a reading - until you get your first dirty tank. :eek: I won't play Russian Roulette even with 3% odds, so I keep testing.

But looking at what you do get, it's just not reliable. Did you notice their disclaimer? "* CO-PRO is intended only as a detector of carbon monoxide and is not a substitute for proper testing or inspection of breathing air."
sensorchart.gif

what was said above. Unless you are filling tanks in your garage with a gas powered compressor, CO is really not anything worth worrying about
:laughing: Sorry, that is so wrong on too many levels.

Rob, I'm with you there, was just saying that CO can actually be filtered out and the reason quite a few of us don't feel the need to carry them is that we are diving with our tanks, so no standing sea water in the bottom to generate CO in the tank, and the fill stations that we use are electric compressors with CO monitors and filters in place. Adding CO filtration is like $25 when you go to change your filter stack, cheap insurance. Vacation divers in the middle of nowhere with gas compressors and no CO detection using rental tanks? hell yeah I'd be checking every damn fill, but most of us aren't in that boat.
Better, thank you. :thumb:

Except I know a pro diver in Florida who became very ill from his own tank filled in state. Glad he survived, but the risks are too great. A good Sensorcon tank tester is less than $200, fast accurate, and much safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom