Would those in the know be kind enough.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDMD

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
to share their list of necessary armamentarium to successful underwater lobstering?

A diver patient of mine gave me his list and reinforced the fact to buy HP 100 steel tanks instead of aluminum...... now what is your advice?

Besides the conventional scuba equipment, what other gear would you deem necessary to improve your odds at lobster collecting?

Thank you......

PM me if you feel the need to secrecy, but please advice..........:D

First you need a license ($40), numbers on your dive flag and cylinders (last 4 digits of your SSN), then you need a min/max guage, and a good set of gloves or mittens that you won't mind getting a bit torn up, and a bag to stuff the bugs into. While not necessary, I find an aluminum tickle stick useful, though I've even seen folks use a coat hanger. Sometimes a light is good for peering into crevices. Finally, a cooler with some ice to take them home (I think a few wet rags or newspaper is also a good idea). Some folks get a bander and elastics for the claws as well.
Jim

HP steel would give you time advantage vs 80 AL (and cranked up a bit), plus more lead off the waist. On the lobster side and sushi...if you aren't lucky with catching any bugs this is where I head towards : Intershell in Gloucester :

Intershell Seafood Market Gloucester MA fresh fish sushi shrimp lobster seafood

They have REAL sushi supplies and we are not talking weak-knee'd stuff. It's full on speciality products like Monkfish liver, Ankimo sauce, Barramundi etc.

X

Thanks Mr.X, I was looking for a place with more quality and variety than Connolly Seafood......
I will check out Intershell today.....

On the lobster side and sushi...if you aren't lucky with catching any bugs this is where I head towards : Intershell in Gloucester :

For someone that seems to pride himself on being mysterious, I am shocked that you'd give away your secret spot!!! :D

(last 4 digits of your SSN),

This is offtopic but pretty important. Unless there is a state law saying that the numbers have to be the last 4 digits of your SSN, this is a very bad idea. There are still many social services, credit card companies and banks that use the last 4 digits of your SSN for identity verification.

This is offtopic but pretty important. Unless there is a state law saying that the numbers have to be the last 4 digits of your SSN, this is a very bad idea. There are still many social services, credit card companies and banks that use the last 4 digits of your SSN for identity verification.

I agree. FWIW, I fly my customer ID number provided when purchasing my license online. I'm pretty sure that number is unique to me, and the couple of times I have been checked by the DEP, it hasn't been an issue.

For someone that seems to pride himself on being mysterious, I am shocked that you'd give away your secret spot!!! :D

Cheers. Intershell is simply a terrific seafood purveyor and a change from the usual fare in the area, though it does market endangered Monkfish. :depressed:

Mr. X (honestly) pseudonym was used so that I wouldn't jeopardize the well-being of several dive enterprises & expeditions I was associated with. As time goes on it's becoming less important that I remain obscure and folks not so offended by my plain comments.

Over time, folks will get to know me via some work with ROV's and local diving in the Cape Ann / Mass area.

Mr. X (honestly) pseudonym was used so that I wouldn't jeopardize the well-being of several dive enterprises & expeditions I was associated with. As time goes on it's becoming less important that I remain obscure and folks not so offended by my plain comments.

If you were ever "unmasked" I think I'd miss your mysterious alter-ego a little bit. It gives your posts a certain panache!

So............

Is this all you got for me as far as equipment?.....:popcorn:

I feel you guys are holding back.... what you don't want to help a newbie?:depressed:.............

Well.......thanks anyway.......:cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom