Would you dive the Farallones?

Would you dive the Farallones?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumsted65:
Lisa told a story of the Farallones once being a nuclear waste dump site. She was convinced that had an effect on the ecosystem which made the critters mutate and become larger over time. I just don't know about that, never having looked into it myself, but thought it might make for some interesting discussion.

I doubt they would dump that close to shore. Even the toxic dredge they take out of the bay is dumped pretty far out to sea. Now there is an old sunken ship that releases a fair amount of crude oil every year somewhere out there. After a big storm the oil will often wash up on the beachs and shorelines.

Peter_C:
I doubt they would dump that close to shore. Even the toxic dredge they take out of the bay is dumped pretty far out to sea. Now there is an old sunken ship that releases a fair amount of crude oil every year somewhere out there. After a big storm the oil will often wash up on the beaches and shorelines.
The deep water off the Farallones is a nuclear (and other stuff) dump site. We're talking
way beyond techdiver range. However, mutations other than size would be rampant too,
and they aren't. Stuff is bigger because they aren't fished much.

The ship that WAS releasing oil was the Jacob Lukenbach, sunk in a collision during the
Korean war. It's in about 130', much closer to SF, and smack in the middle of the
inbound container ship lanes. I've seen it on my sonar (it's on the charts, though not
labeled). Anyway, they took the oil off a couple of years ago.

There's also a liberty ship that ran aground in the fog at SE Farallon during WW II. I
don't know exactly where it is, and I haven't heard of it seeping oil.

In the Devils Teeth it mentions these to leaks as well. One was 800,000 gallon and the other was around 1.4 million.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to SB and had to post. I've been on two trips to the Farallons and would go back in a heartbeat. That is by far some of the most spectacular west coast diving I have ever done. We did a night dive on both trips and loved it. The two problems we had were Krill and the stink from some of the rocks:)

Anyone else dive Noon Day Rock? WOW! Wish I had pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom