Would you dive this profile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As several have already mentioned, and you have confirmed, "you can't get there from here" based on the information provided.

HOWEVER, you are correct to question ANY dive below 30 metres with a new dive buddy... I do a lot of deep dives and teach technical diving to instructors, and I'd be thinking twice!

Good call and happy diving.

I didn't read that "NEW" buddy first.
So different to my first answer: I would not do it, no way!

Hi Bratface,

Its a little like when I was a teenager and used to ask my mom if "this shirt" was all right to wear. She usually answered that if I had to ask, it wasn't.

I wouldn't make this my first dive with this buddy, that's for sure. Try a more shallow dive with him to see how he acts. I remember being given an insta-buddy that had only a few more dives than I had at the time. When I started talking about a dive plan he put his hand on my shoulder and told me NOBODY does that except newbees. I figured he'd be the death of me so I asked for another buddy.

Steve.

As others have said I would need to talk about it more. More planning details etc... then if they all worked out to what I was comfortable then yes otherwise we would come to an agreement on something else.

We both are experienced divers, but I disagree with his proposed profile.

The first dive is to be on a wreck in 120 ft
Second dive is a reef with what he describes as a shelf in 80 ft
Third dive is also a reef with sandy bottom in 80 ft

Ok so 120 you get 12 min then an hour on the surface you get 17 min at 80 ft and have to surface for 2:24 (if I followed the naui table online properly) and get another 17(or 19 online table might be wrong) min at 80. basic table question?

well you say you have over 200 dives, so I am very confused you know this so what is the real question? are you asking if the 12 min and 17 min bottom times are worth the effort? I guess depends on personal choice.

If you do not trust your buddy because he is 50 or any other reason then do not dive with him, but why post it here with so little information? :confused:

Charlie 99 and dumpsterDiver: exactly what you have both said. He has not provided enough information about bottom time, surface interval. He was planning on diving air. I'd rather do nitrox.

Thanks everyone. Since we've never had the opportunity to dive together, we'll need to talk a lot more before I dive with him.

Like the others have said, talk to him – work out the details. As for Nitrox, there is no reason you can’t dive Nitrox even if he does not.

It all depends on the bottom time, the profile, the surface interval, etc. There is no yes/no answer to this question unless you take those details into account. Just look at the tables or your computer and see what they say.

The deeper you go (assuming no-D) the shorter the dive and the faster the controlling tissue. What that means is that you will off gas quickly once you return to the surface. Depth is not the problem.

No info on surface intervals or bottom times but from a simple depth point of view id have no issues at all diving that profile. Provided you get 90 mins or more between dives i see no issue.

Just completed a week of 3 x 40-50m (130 - 160ft) dives per day all on air and a few mins deco on each with roughly a 2hr SI between them with no issues.

yes i would do this dive but 2 things... EAN32, and at least 20 min Surface interval (time permitting).... would be the safe thing to do

I am thinking that if you use a dive computer and your nitrogen loading stays in the green, then you will have no problems with decompression sickness. I would like to know from other divers if I am correct on this. In talking with a diver the other day, I found that he had no concept of the primary purpose of his dive computer. In my way of thinking, your nitrogen loading is what is going to be the controlling factor of your dives. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom