Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Would you dive with someone that explicitly refused to share air in an emergency?

• Yes

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 472 89.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If another diver stated that "His air is his and if you run out, you're on your own", would you dive with that person?

Terry

Nope, but then again that's why I only dive with one buddy. We share food, share paychecks, share stories, and share a bed. I guess sharing air just comes natural.

Yes, I would love to dive with such a person ... especially if they don't have a redundant airsource! I would sneak up behind them and shut off their air... Ha, ha, ha... Just to see them begging for my octo ... he, he, he, .... especially down at 90 plus feet ... ha, ha, ha...

Of course, that would be cruel...

No big deal! Ever have a roll off? You learn as a diver to deal with it! I learned to dive that way, go ahead make my dive! :rofl3:

I will render aid if it is possible and safe, because it is my air and life!

I will render aid and air if it is within my training to do so, because it is my air and life!

I will render aid if it is possible if it does not put a third party at risk, because it is my air and I am the one who decides based on my assessment that it will not hurt a third party or myself.

I will render aid if it is possible and safe to do so under the existing circumstances without risking more lives.

I will dive with you if you have DAN insurance and do not put a third party or myself in jeopardy because of poor judgment, Equipment failure, or Panic.

I will dive with you if you understand your responsibilities while underwater to your own safety and that of others.

With the understanding of these rules I will, if your buddy, do whatever possible to within safe boundaries to get you back to the surface or to the starting point of the dive.

If you are not up to the same, then I will not be associated with you in the water environment as a buddy or any other presumed alliance.

At the end of the day I would want my buddy to go home, if I couldn't, but because it is my air I will make sure I can!

Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Not for long...:shakehead:

If another diver stated that "His air is his and if you run out, you're on your own", would you dive with that person?
Terry
Wish you'd set the poll so we could see who votes yes just to cause problems, as no one else would.
Don, you're wrong. I have and would dive with such a person.

I dive with a nice guy who dives an old double hose. He can't help me, but I have my doubles, so I can help both him and myself. They are always shallow, short, easy dives, and we have had fun together.
dbl_hose_diver_copy.jpg

Also, a lot of the divers I dive with don't have much experience and haven't done an air share since their original OW check-out dives, so I just assume that they would not be competent, or really able, to give me air if I needed it. And I do easy dives with them, too.

I'm not trying to cause problems, Don, like you stated. It's just the truth.

I can't believe there is so much discussion on the topic of air share. Very sad really.:( I really do not believe that any "buddy" or "team" diver is getting in the water with the idea that they can completely zone out and not worry because their buddy will bail them out. I know I certainly don't dive that way.:shakehead: A buddy is not a cure for irresponsibility. Thankfully nobody I know personally dives this way. Perhaps Papa Bear has had different experiences.

Prepare for the worst though. If I run out of air or have some other issue, do I have a buddy I can count on or should I find another solution? This is not only something to consider in the predive plan but something that needs constant evaluation on the dive. I take solace in my buddies. Maybe I have a higher opinion of my fellow humans, or maybe my experiences in the military where I had to rely on others in sticky situations to keep me alive help me to put my faith in my buddy. And to be there for them or any one else that needs my help. Not doing everything I could do would leave me with nightmares and feeling terribly dissapointed in myself.

Personally I feel sorry for some of the posters in this thread. What could have happened that they have so little faith in others?:(

From an article about the recent deaths on the Spiegel Grove:

Mark Cianculli, the owner of Scuba Do, classifies the tragedy as "diver error." He won't answer any questions about the tragedy or offer opinions. "I'm just waiting for this all to settle down and for people to forget about it," he adds.
It is possible that at least one of the three men panicked as he ran low on air, which caused the others to do the same. It is also possible that they were overconfident in their skills and when confronted with a dark, confined space — while running low on air, their brains foggy — they made bad choices, like trying to share air.

Congratulations! PB you are the first and only member to make my "ignore list"

I never expect anything for anyone! That way I am never disappointed!

COOL!!! THANKS!!! :rofl3::popcorn: Like I care, really! Go soak your head, but bring a buddy in case you run out of air!:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom