Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Would you dive with someone that explicitly refused to share air in an emergency?

• Yes

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 472 89.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a relatively new and inexperienced diver. >30 dives.

I honestly can't beleive that anyone diving would deny another diver air should an emergency situation arise UW. Makes me sad.

I do understand the arguments about different situations but to generalize and say you would not share air is disgusting. You should have your membership card in the human race revoked.

I'm a new diver too and I agree with you, there is no good reason to deny someone air if they need it.

There are those who keep repeating that 'each diver is responsible for their own safety', well of course they are. This isn't exclusive to diving. But sometimes things happen which you no control over and sometimes, whether it is a stuff up on your part or not, you'll need help to get out of it.

Have a read of this incident www.diveoz.com.au - Regular Column by By Trevor Jackson - Esperance Star

and then ask if the diver would have survived if his buddy had been PB or some of the others.

I bowed out of this debate quite a while ago and have just glanced at a few of the later posts. So I don’t know if what I am about to ask has already been asked.

How many of the YES votes are from SOLO divers?

Gary D.

I bowed out of this debate quite a while ago and have just glanced at a few of the later posts. So I don’t know if what I am about to ask has already been asked.

How many of the YES votes are from SOLO divers?

Gary D.

Good question. You're on to something, I think.

There's another good question to ask those divers who voted "yes", that they would be willing to dive with someone who announced they wouldn't share air under any circumstances....

Question: Were they just trying to assert how self-sufficient they think they are?

Did they neglect to consider that a buddy with such a significant character defect might present other more direct, active hazards during a dive?

For some, maybe it's more about posturing than answering honestly.

Dave C

I'm a new diver too and I agree with you, there is no good reason to deny someone air if they need it.

There are those who keep repeating that 'each diver is responsible for their own safety', well of course they are. This isn't exclusive to diving. But sometimes things happen which you no control over and sometimes, whether it is a stuff up on your part or not, you'll need help to get out of it.

Have a read of this incident www.diveoz.com.au - Regular Column by By Trevor Jackson - Esperance Star

and then ask if the diver would have survived if his buddy had been PB or some of the others.

Did you bother to read what you linked to? These were tech divers and there was no panic involved or new untrained divers! No one was out of are rushing anyone to rip the air out of anyones mouth or put anyone in jeopardy! I think the biggest problem that faces divers and voters is ignorance! Before you quote PB or imply that someone would drown with me, you better know your facts, and know that slander is a serious thing! There is a hug difference between knowing who's air it is and not saving someone who is out of air!

Maybe your problem is you don't read too well or English is a second language?

Not no but HELL NEAUX.......now, why are you asking???.......

Without a doubt, "NO". This isn't loaning someone a dollar....this is your life. Find a new buddy. Better still, let everyone know this person's attitude and in doing so, help save other lives.

I posted something similar in another thread but I re-state it here.

I practice OOA drills with my dive buddy frequently, she being my lovely bride, I want to insure her safety first. I am also sure many people who dive routinely with the same buddy or dive team are also practiced in sharing air. Hopefully, with proper practice, good dive planning and more importantly, sticking to the properly planed dive, air sharing with remain just a drill we all should do.

However, all the best laid and practiced plans go out the window when you encounter a panicked diver that is OOA. It is difficult to train for and even with significant training and practice, rescuing a diver in the throws of a full blown panic attack will challenge even the most level headed rescuer.

My choice in choosing whom I dive with, should my lovely bride not be available, is based on whether I think I can control this person in a panic situation first. If I believe I can, then the other factors like skill level and personality come into play.

My choice in choosing whom I dive with, should my lovely bride not be available, is based on whether I think I can control this person in a panic situation first. If I believe I can, then the other factors like skill level and personality come into play.

So do you give them a Myers Briggs test? :D

Judging panic, or if one can control a panicked diver is difficult. I was with someone I was afraid would panic this weekend. They were non-responsive to my repeated requests of RU OK, and appeared to be freaked out.

I stayed about 10 feet away, and just watched, and repeated my RU OK question every 30 seconds or so. This went on for a few minutes. They finally got themselves under control, and responded.

I was planning my strategy to get them to the surface the entire time, and it did not involve making much eye contact! :11: Since they were not OOA, I was just going to get behind them, and drag them up. They may not have liked it much, but that is what I was going to do had they not responded.

Did you bother to read what you linked to? These were tech divers and there was no panic involved or new untrained divers! No one was out of are rushing anyone to rip the air out of anyones mouth or put anyone in jeopardy! I think the biggest problem that faces divers and voters is ignorance! Before you quote PB or imply that someone would drown with me, you better know your facts, and know that slander is a serious thing! There is a hug difference between knowing who's air it is and not saving someone who is out of air!

They, the buddy pair, were doing a no deco dive to 40 metres, I don't think that's tech. And if they were tech, what's that got to do with the price of fish in China anyway?

My point was this guys buddy was watching out for him, particularly when he noticed something might be suspect and was ready and willing to render assistance ASAP.

You, and others, have said they wouldn't help a panicked diver. I would hazard a guess that any diver coming to you for air is in the midst of panic to some degree. You make it sound like you have to buddy breathe with the OOA diver. Just give them your occy and they'll calm down, whats the problem?

The guy in the incident I linked to had had a CO2 hit and was completely disorientated. He didn't even know which way was up let alone the direction the anchor chain. He thought his buddy was trying to take him deeper, not to the surface. I'd say he was panicked.

And, as far as sharing air goes, he tried to force his occy into his mouth, unfortunately it wouldn't stay there. His buddy took him from 40 metres to the surface in under 30 secs and other divers who'd been in the water longer surfaced early to alert the boat to a problem and cut short their deco stops to render assistance. I don't think there is any question that this diver would have died if the others in the group weren't prepared to take an educated risk.

As far as slandering you goes, you can take it how you like. My comment was based purely on the opinion you have conveyed on your (remaining) previous posts.

Maybe your problem is you don't read too well or English is a second language?

Also based on you previous posts, you always resort to attacks when someone doesn't conform to your view. With regard to English, maybe you should check you own spelling and does your computer have a full stop (.)? You finsh every sentence with an exclamation mark !

They, the buddy pair, were doing a no deco dive to 40 metres, I don't think that's tech. And if they were tech, what's that got to do with the price of fish in China anyway?

My point was this guys buddy was watching out for him, particularly when he noticed something might be suspect and was ready and willing to render assistance ASAP.

You, and others, have said they wouldn't help a panicked diver. I would hazard a guess that any diver coming to you for air is in the midst of panic to some degree. You make it sound like you have to buddy breathe with the OOA diver. Just give them your occy and they'll calm down, whats the problem?

The guy in the incident I linked to had had a CO2 hit and was completely disorientated. He didn't even know which way was up let alone the direction the anchor chain. He thought his buddy was trying to take him deeper, not to the surface. I'd say he was panicked.

And, as far as sharing air goes, he tried to force his occy into his mouth, unfortunately it wouldn't stay there. His buddy took him from 40 metres to the surface in under 30 secs and other divers who'd been in the water longer surfaced early to alert the boat to a problem and cut short their deco stops to render assistance. I don't think there is any question that this diver would have died if the others in the group weren't prepared to take an educated risk.

As far as slandering you goes, you can take it how you like. My comment was based purely on the opinion you have conveyed on your (remaining) previous posts.

Also based on you previous posts, you always resort to attacks when someone doesn't conform to your view. With regard to English, maybe you should check you own spelling and does your computer have a full stop (.)? You finsh (Finish) every sentence with an exclamation mark !

The word is finish and you have a computer as well! See we all make mistakes even you! Don't make one that may kill you!

First of all where was the panic? Your case has nothing to do with the subject here in a basic forum! My point from the beginning is for two OW divers is to understand your air belongs to you not your buddy! It is up to each person to manage there air from the start to the end of a dive! Next if two OW divers have an emergency many times due to the lack of training the OOA diver may panic! My point is if you don't feel you can control the panicked diver an attempted rescue could very well get you killed as well! You have to do what is reasonable and SAFE to save the panicked person IF possible without risking your death!

In rescue the rescuer comes first! No matter what you are doing! Further more you support my point that an unconscious or disoriented diver is easy to rescue as compared to one in full panic!

Were they on open circuit SCUBA? Didn't sound like it to me? That qualifies it as a tech dive from the get go!

You have been misconstruing and misstating my position crediting me for statements that I never made! So that is not an opinion at all! It is out right lying about my stated position! If you have trouble understanding my posts ignore them in the future please!

And finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom